What do you make with ground turkey?

We used it years ago to make burgers and spaghetti and didn't care for it. We want to give it another try. What do you make with ground turkey and what do you season it with?

NikkiMomof2grls

Asked by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I never cook just plain ground turkey and feed it to the family. I use it with seasonings to make turkey burgers; add it to casseroles; combine with refried beans for tacos & nachos; etc. If you're bothered by the taste, add a beef boullion cube when cooking it. We've been eating it so long that ground beef tastes odd and I can't stand the greasy feeling of hamburgers.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• well im not sure if your foodlion or whatever store you go to has this. but we get ground turkey that is seasoned already with itatlion seasonings and i get that for our spaghetti, its wonderful for tacos, and even meatloaf. i have a wonderful meatloaf recipe if you would like it msg. me.
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 10:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I agree, it doesn't taste great as a burger BUT I used Oprah's turkey burger recipe and really did like it. It's on her website. The burger is from Lago Mar or some other fancy hotel chef. Good, really. Try also seasoning with taco mix and making tacos.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• ground turkey, chicken and pork are dry....so you have to add liquids to make it juicier and tastier. With ground turkey, chicken or pork, you can add olive oil, fresh garlic, rosemary, thyme, chopped onion, paprika, oregano, worcesteshire sauce, lemon or lime juice.......any combination of these wonderful seasonings works great with these ground meats....especially for meatballs, burgers, chili, tacos, and skillet meals.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Turkey loaf put your same ingredients in as you would your meatloaf. Turkey burgers, I use that instead of Hamburger. Hamburger is so fating.

Danielle
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I use it 1/2 and 1/2 with ground beef for just about anything. I use ground pork a lot also. Turkey and chicken have less fat so they taste less. You ned to use spices or fresh herbs. If you make spaghetti be sure and simmer it for a good while to infuse the flavors. You can buy 90/10 hamburger 10% fat if you want a healthier ground beef.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Thank you ladies! I will most likely be trying all of these ideas out. Hubby has changed his diet/eating habits and I am so psyched! We have been trying a lot of new recipes. I have worried about his diet for years and he is doing great...so proud of him!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:09 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• We use it in lettuce wraps (the hoisin sauce is strong and you can't taste the turkey) chili, spaghetti, burgers, salisbury steak, pretty much everything I use hamburger for. I did start out mixing it with beef or pork, but slowly mixed it with less and less, and now I don't have to mix it, my family is used to eating it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• We dont eat really meat, we always eat turkey meat cause its healthy and it taste good in anything. We even put it in our pasta, or make burgers with it. Anything you would put meat beef in you can put the turkey into also. It taste good.
    kitacall

Answer by kitacall at 1:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I don't like the taste, so I only use it in recipes that have lots of other flavors ... like chili or stuffed green peppers
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2010