Picky kid!

As an infant he would eat ANYTHING but now my 19 month old is very very picky. He only really eats meat and bread. He won't eat any fruit or vegetable except bananas and sometimes cooked carrots. I don't feel like he's getting proper nutrition. I've tried only offering him other {healthier} things when I know he's hungry but he just pushes it away and fusses until he gets something else. I don't even know how I started this habit. I was always adament that he ate right! Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Its just a phase...all kids go through this at different times growing up. Just keep offering it to him even if he doesn't want it but with other foods he likes as well.
    Anonymous

• I have a 14mth old and he loved everything from fruit to veggies and now he is starting to become picky. I have started to puree veggies in meat and bread, muffins. So I know that he is eating veggies. He loves his fruit dont have to worry.
    But like sphgetti I have started to put veggies in the sauce and he doesnt know the difference.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods