some people say that God doesnt exist. how is it that so many people in the world believe in Him, even those that arent religious?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because their great great great grandparents were forced to believe or die and now it's just something they always do, like going to grandma's on Sunday and knowing better than to say anything about politics in front of Uncle George when he's been drinking.
    Anonymous

• To point out the obvious, how many people believe in a given idea has no bearing on whether or not it's factually true or not. For instance, a few centuries ago people believed that the earth was flat- no level of belief made that idea accurate. I'm not saying that there isn't a higher power of some sort, because I really don't know. I'm just suggesting that majority belief doesn't constitute proof of a deity, anymore than belief that the earth was flat constituted proof of a flat earth.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• God made a special place in your heart that only him can fill. No matter where you are born or in which religion you were born, deep inside there is a space that you want to fill. You can try to fill this space with everything you can think (money, women, men, children, jewels, trips, church. etc) but only a real relationship with God (God father, Jesus and Holy Spirit) will filled this empty space. That is why many people gets caught up in weird religions filled with rituals.

God is as real as you and me. For people that say that he does not exist b/c you can not see him. Then that means that if you can not see it, it does not exist? how do you explain love? it is not a physical thing you can touch.
    Anonymous

• I believe in MANY Gods and Goddesses alike. Do you? Millions of people around the world do... Millions more do not. Does one's belief or disbelief in a deity have any effect on the beliefs of others? It shouldn't and if it does, then that believer wasn't a true believer in the first place...

My point is, we believe in what we have proof of. I have proof in my life that there are a great many Gods and Goddesses. You may have seen proof in your life that there is A God... Many more have seen proof that there is no god or simply haven't seen the proof.

It really is that simple. Proof makes belief. Without some form of personal proof there can be no belief.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• We are born with a GOD sized hole and we will seek him or seek to fill that place with things. All of nature gives testimony that there is a GOD. It takes more faith the believe there is NO GOD than there IS.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 12:06 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• In western society we have been ingrained with religion. That does not make it any more plausible that a "God/Goddess/Deity" exists, or that many do. It is simply something that has been imposed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I agree with obbydobbie.

Like here in UTah...... the mormons have 7-10 kids sometimes, all going to sunday school/church from birth on. It's instilled in them. They didn't have much of a choice in the matter. They have kids and do the same to their kids. Cycle on.

I'm not religious... I accept what empirical evidence supports. So far, the evidence suggests atheism.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Because people WANT to believe in God. Think of how much easier it is to accept a loved one's death when you convince yourself that they are going to heaven. Or how little you have to think when the answer is always "God"...Not to mention, that it is part of "religions" to raise your children in your same beleifs. They know no better and believing is just more secure and comforting.

jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Maybe because His power is great and He really does exist. He's created each and every one of us even the ones that dont believe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Because they are taught about it. People are not born believing in God; the seed is planted at a young age, watered and cultivated to be harvested later like a giant watermelon full of juicy lies and succulent, mouthwatering false hope. It even has other seeds for you to plant in the minds of others. They tell you that you need it to be quenched of your thirst, that it's nourishment for your soul, that you'll starve to death and die without it. But in reality, it's nothing more than an empty paper plate with a rind on it.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2010