doc is an hour away...

so my doc is an hour away..she's the doc i had with my first pregnancy, and i really like her...my husband does not want to be that far away for work reasons apparently and to be closer to home..but i really want to use her again for our second pregnancy (i'm not prego yet, but got mirena out today)..the doc knows my medical history, delivered my dd (when she wasn't on call), she was easy to talk to about my pregnancy, i generally all around liked her and reallly worry that i won't find another good ob/gyn...how do i get him to see my side/talk him into letting me use her again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• I really feel that there are a few situations where we as birthing women get to dig our heels in. Ask him how he would feel about seeing someone new for a prostrate check, this person will have their hands inside you, and the health of the baby on their shoulderrs- not something you let just anyone do!. It is your body and your trust in your doctor can play a huge role in how the pregnancy and birth go.
    By the same token, if your old doctor moved to Africa, you simply would have had to find a new doctor, so as nice as it would be, it isn't essential to have her. Ask your friends who they saw, if they liked them and why, you never know, you might be missing out on someone who is fantastic , just around the corner.
    If you aren't pregnant yet, start looking around now, it won't hurt to investigate, and you might be pleasantly surprised
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Personally I dont see the problem with being an hour away, All of our doctors are an hour away and with my last baby I drove myself and two older children to the hospital an hour away with contractions 5 minutes apart (DH was 3 hours away and rushing back). The important thing here is that YOU trust and are comfortable with your doctor and choice of where you deliver. I drove past a hospital to get to the one i wanted, the one i passed had horrible doctors and i almost died last time i was admitted there so i kept on driving.

The big thing is to have a plan in place make sure you agree to leave early enough to get there in time and if possible have friends to help get you there if need be. I had a friend who lived in the area meet me at the hospital and i had two other friends working in the hospital so i was lucky i had help once i got there.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I almost let my hubby talk me out of using the same OB this time for the same reason. I even made a local appointment but once I got to thinking about it, I couldn't believe I even considered changing docs. My OB is awesome and I'm so comfortable there.
    I explained to DH how it's about more than just the actual labor... this is MONTHS of care and I want MY doc, who I trust! I told him that if he's that worried about me delivering in the car, we can get a motel near their hospital when the time gets close. I'm the one that will be in labor, I feel it should be my decision. Once he realized how important it was to me, he supported my decision and everytime we have an appointment he says he's happy we decided to stick with my original OB.
    Just tell hubby how important this is for you, and remind him that YOU will be the one in labor.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 4:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2010