My son is 4 years old and I never had him circumcised at birth,should I have it done now or let him make that decision when he becomes old enough to do so since his penis doesn't look right but I don'tr want them to hurt my only child because his father wants this done as soon as possible?

mommys1luv

Asked by mommys1luv at 11:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is a question for your ped or a urologist.

I would have it done...he will have to have a local or be put out. I would not wait until he is an adult.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 11:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• If you wanted it done, why did you wait? As infants it is forgettable, at four he is sure to remember. If you decided to not circ, why are you changing your mind now?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• NO! his penis looks just fine. that's how a penis is supposed to look. there is nothing wrong with his penis the way it is. why does his father want it done? to look like him? that's just weird. how would you like a piece of your clit cut off, and not by choice but by force? Same basic thing. by cutting of the foreskin on his penis you are destroying thousands of nerve endings.

really, it's up to you. but i have one circ'd child and one not circe'd child. They have never noticed that there is a difference in the looks of their penis. Or if they have noticed, it's not something significant enough to them that they bring it up to me.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• you should definatly have it done. he is only 4, he will not remember this when he grows up. it will be way to painful & traumatizing to do when he gets older & can really think about it.
    do you research, not being circumsized is VERY unhealthy for them. and its very embarrassing. VERY EMBARRASING.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Why wait until he's a young adult, and most likely wouldn't have the $ for it?

I'd get it done, he probably wont even remember when he's older. This is something I'd listen to the father on. It's not a fun thing to have done, and when my son had his done, it was hard to be there. In the end it was worth it. He doesn't even remember. He's almost 4 now.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• If I had waited this long, I would just leave it and let him decide as an adult! It's not a necessary procedure.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 12:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• THERE IS NOTHING UNHEALTHY OR ABNORMAL ABOUT AN UNCIRCUMCISED PENIS.

Your son *is* old enough to remember this procedure. Think about it- when are your first memories? Most people's begin around 2 or 3 years of age.
    There are THOUSANDS of nerve endings in the foreskin that you will destroy by circumcising him. My DH says that he remembers having feeling in his foreskin as early as 3 years old. He feels that if he were circumcised as a child or adult, he would have sexual dysfunction as an adult. The foreskin is part of the protective & sexual functions of the penis.
    Being uncircumcised is NOT unhealthy unless you do not teach him proper care & hygiene, which is not hard. The group Raising Intact Boys has a lot of great information about circumcision & how to care for an intact penis.
    (cont. below)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 4:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• (cont. from above)

Also, there is NOTHING embarrassing about your DS having a foreskin, unless you & your DH teach him to be embarrassed about it. Then he will be self-conscious. That's how he (and every other male on Earth) was created- it's not wrong, or unusual. IT'S NORMAL.
    There is an increasing number of parents in the United States that are choosing not to circumcise. Your son will not be alone.

Speaking as someone who has an intact DH, there is no difference. It doesn't feel any different during intercourse (or anything else!), and it doesn't change anything. Everything works just fine! :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 4:07 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• THAT IS SOMETHING THAT U SHOULD HAVE HAD DONE WHEN HE WAS BORN, WHY PUT A KID UNDER THE KNIFE IF NOT ABSOLUTLY NEEDED. THAT IS TRAMATIC.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 8:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I say you wait and let him decide, if you don't do it when there young enough to not remember then the choice becomes your sons
    jgal29

Answer by jgal29 at 8:16 AM on Mar. 4, 2010