what's the best way to get a cut or scrape healed without the scab falling off and leaving a scar?

My girl scraped her arm and it's a moist scab,I've been putting neosporin on it,should I be putting a band aid on it,I thought when it air dries it heals faster?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Health

• Soaking in mildly hot or warm water, to get the scab off without peeling and irritating it.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Neosprin is great for scrapes so your doing good, using a ban aid really depends on how deep it is, ifyour talking about a minor scrape I wouldnt use a band aid, if its somewhat deep i would use one for a few days letting it air out at night when you know she wont get dirt in it. Depending on her age most likely you wont even see it in a few years.

You can also use maderma for kids once it heals, it works really well we started using it on my daughters face after she was attacked by a dog and had stitches around her eye and mouth. that was almost 2 years ago and she still has scars but they are so light that we are sure they will fade even more. Our doctor was amazed at how well the maderma worked. You cant tell the scars are there unless you know what your looking for.

My mom has even started using it on old scars she has and it is working for her as well.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• the air does heal it faster....don't keep it moist. it will never heal. as long as you don't pick it, it should fall off on it's own and be fine.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I've heard that keeping a wound moist allows it to heal slower and reduce the appearance of the scar. Air drying will heal it faster, but your skin will react by producing more scar tissue to close the wound.

When my brother in law had a big wound on his leg, his doctor told him to keep it covered up with ointment on it until it was almost completely healed. It actually did a good job. I know follow the same advice and haven't had much scarring from anything in a long while.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 6:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Beeswax is the best thing to heal cuts & scrapes without scarring. Beeswax has natural healing properties. You can also use honey to prevent infection on cuts.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:30 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• If you are keeping it covered with Neosporin, then the bandaid won't matter, it's not getting air anyway (although it might keep her from picking at it). If it does scar, Mederma is a scar remover. It does take a long, long, long time (several times a day for weeks, months) and is kind of expensive. So maybe if it's in a prominent place, you could continue to keep it moist even though it might take a while longer.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:42 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• thanks motherofhope! i have been wondering about an alternative to neosporin! i should get some in the house before spring!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2010