worth the money?

DH has been offered a job on an oil rig a state over from where we live. We have a 19 month old and if everything happens as planned, we will be pregnant by the end of the year.
Currently, he works at a job making about 30,000.00 a year and I work part time (after he gets home from work, I head to work so we dont get to see much of eachother) We live in an apartment and get by but money is tight.
If he takes this job, he is away for 2 weeks in another state and then home for 2 weeks and so on. I would not have to work and could stay at home with the kid(s). So those 2 weeks he is home, we would get to spend together. We would be able to upgrade our rental or buy a home within the year and I could enroll my son in montessori which I am passionate about but we couldnt afford otherwise.
We have figured it out that we will actually get to see eachother more but I am afraid that my son wont understand it that way. CONT.

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 2:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• CONT.....
    DH has been his sole caregiver from 5:30pm-10:00pm since he was born and two weeks is a long time to a toddler. I am OK getting by with just what we need, but dont really see us getting any further ahead with our current financial situation.
    Isnt it worth a shot just for him to at least take the job and then see if it works out?
    Where do you draw the line between family and money? Would love to hear from other Moms in this type of situation.
    THANKS!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• for awhile my husband and i were in a similar situation. i stayed home with the kids and he worked weekdays and come home only on weekends it was pretty hard but we made it work. i think its worth the small sacrifice if you want a better lifestyle for your family. sometimes he would send a MMS message where he sang songs to our daughter so she got to see her daddy that way
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 2:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I totally feel for you hun. In one hand you have stability of your hubs being home everyday and that comfort; then on the other hand you know that money is always something stressful.
    My hubs and I were talking about this as well, only him wanting to join the air force and become a radio engineer. The money is great its just that Leap of faith and unfamiliar waters is whats the kicker. Sounds like that is how you percieve it as well. The money sounds great but the unknowing of the change is what is scary.
    If I were in your shoes; I would say take that leap. Maybe a couple of months down the road you will be able to have saved enough that you could move out and be closer to his work; thus eliminating the visit every 2 weeks. Well, unless he's at sea ( sorry don't know much about oil rigs).
    Eventhough 2 weeks seems like eternity for a toddler; he will be so more anxious to see daddy when he returns. Good LUCK :)
    wolfmomma30

Answer by wolfmomma30 at 2:47 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• What a wonderful opportunity. If you guys can better your financial situation, you should do it. Your husband will be able to stay home every 2 weeks for 2 weeks, that's a great thing. I would do it.
    goldilocks70

Answer by goldilocks70 at 2:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• It sounds like a fantastic opportunity for your family. Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• My husband's father had that schedule, was paid handsomly for it, and his mom was able to stay at home with the four kids. Your son will adapt to the schedule, and actually will have a great relationship with his father since dad will be able to spend quality time with the kids when he is home. I'm not going to pretend and tell you it's going to be great from the start-- your son will need to adjust, but the financial stability it will afford you, the two weeks he gets to be at home, and the abiltiy to spend quality time together as a family when he is home is worth it.

Think of it this way-- your family gets to spend 26 weeks together to be just a family-- it's kinda like vacation for half a year!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 6:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Some people live that way and have for years. You do what you have to do. IN this case it is up to you and what you want for the family. Your son will get used to it. You will have contact while he is gone and believe me the 2 weeks at home will be nice. It has to be your decision for the most part. You will be mom and dad for 2 weeks out of the month. Not that it matters, but my opinion is to do it. The money nice. It will give you a more comfortable life especially with planning for a new baby.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 4, 2010