My 14 month old is very very picky.

My 14 month old has gone througha complete change over the past few months. She is very very very picky and does not eat a lot in one setting anymore. My little girl used to be a little piggy and pretty much ate everything. What can I do, as she was found to be a little on the anemic side at her 1 yr check up. I give her atleast 4 sippi cups of milk a day. She is also now on vitamins. Please help with any ideas that you might have...she's sworn off green beans and carrots and I've tried everything. i tried to make her eat them...and she spits them out...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• okay so start with cutting back on the sippy cups, she's filling up on milk & not getting hungry. In my opinion vegetables are over rated at this age. What is the point of developing a battle field over a few beans. As long as she eats some fruit, don't even worry about the vegies for now. Try making up a little plate or special lunch box to graze from with small amounts of different things - eg 5 grapes halved, a few cubes of watermelon, cubes of a mild cheese, sultanas, a couple of crackers, a few cubes of deli meat, half a sandwich cut into little cubes, Tiny muffins either savoury or sweet ( only the size of a patty pan) It looks like a picnic & she can choose whatever she likes. Don't try to force her to have anything in particular. If you cook pasta, save some spirals and add those to her box the next day, anytime you find something to try her with just give her a few pieces along side what she likes and let her choose.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:10 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I don't mean you have to have all that in one box, just some choices so she doesn't feel backed into a corner. You will have plenty to battle over between now and when she leaves home, don't waste your time arguing over this
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Too much milk leaches calcium from the body; give your child water to drnk. Here is a link to food based sources of iron: www.soystache.com/iron ; be sure to have a vitamin C source, like kiwi, with the iron source, to increasethe absorption of the iron.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:56 AM on Mar. 4, 2010