Marital problems during pregnancy, is it common?

Good morning,
I am pregnant with our second child and my husband and I have been very "disconnected" lately. We do have a crazy schedule, we have a toddler and we alternate working so he's never in daycare...so we are somewhat like two ships that pass in the night. But it seems like there is more than that going on. We've been together for 7 years, and we've always considered ourselves the couple that people envy...we love each other and enjoy being together...lately the communication is a BIG problem. Seriously, I'm sick of hearing that "I must be overreacting because I'm pregnant, or I'm hormonal...." These things would bother me if I was not pregnant! Ugh!
Did anyone else have any similar problem during their pregnancies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes, you are tired so tell him to lay off kindly and put that baby first for 1 year!
    mommymadness30

Answer by mommymadness30 at 7:15 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• It can be, but it's usually a sign of something else. You're already running yourselves ragged working and caring for a toddler, and now there is another on the way who will cost that much more time, money and effort! Perhaps your husband is worried about layoffs, expenses, or could just be burned out! What will you do when you have two children? Will you take time off from work? will you have to quit your job? Will you be able to get another job? Jobs are A LOT harder to come by these days given the economy and all--perhaps that is what is concerning your husband?!

I think you should find a time when you can both sit down, and calmly discuss your concerns--maybe if you pose what I said above to get the conversation started, it would help address what COULD be the main issue--or perhaps get the real issue/concerns to come out!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the feedback. Lorikeet- I am due in May and I will be done working May 1. I'm also in school full time to (almost) start the RN nursing program here, so no I will be done working. Thanks for your suggestion, we really do need to do some talking. Sadly, I think we have been so distant for a while that we are getting somewhat used to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Its normal. Everyone is tired and you probably can't do as much being pregnant. I'm in the middle of my third pregnancy and it's been like that everytime! It will get better :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Yes. The pregnancy hormones for Mom, and the concerns of being responsible for another person on Dad's part can cause a lot of stress and anxiety and make an otherwise happy couple argue more often.

During 3 out of 4 of my pregnancies I threatened to divorce my husband at least once a week. I thought he was the biggest jerk alive. He's actually a wonderful husband and father and I'm very lucky to have him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2010