putting a hold on potty training

my son is 15 months, we thought he was ready to potty train. so we started a few days ago, and had him in just undies. Things have gone bad for about a week now. He has started to scream when going near the potty, and it takes a new toy each time to get him to sit. He hasn't peed in it in 2 days now. Yesterday he only peed twice. Should we give up? We are all stressed but I hate to fail at something. I know he is young, but he used to pee on the potty everyday at least once for the past month. I hate to give up after so much work from all of us. If we do stop, do we take the potty away all together and go back to diapers. Will it hurt his self esteem or anything if he gets laid down again on the changing table. I just dont want to hurt him in anyway. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• honestly I believe once you start you need to keep at it cause once you start then go back to diapers you are going to confuse him. My girls my youngest was 19 months by the time she was potty trained during the day she only took one month to train my youngest she took about 4 or 5 months to train I almost gave up on her because she kept pooping in her pants (where my oldest learned both at the same time) it was frusterating, but I didn't give up. I know they say girls are easier, but I honestly wouldn't give up. I would keep working with him
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• oh ya my youngest was 21 or 22 months by the time she got the hang of it and I started her at 14 months old. She wanted to do it just wanted to play too..I know it is frusterating at first, but it does get better
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I think if it's stressing everyone out you should give up for now. He's 15 months old, it isn't going to hurt his self esteem, he won't think he failed at anything. Maybe go back to what you were doing before, once he stops screaming when he goes near the potty. He's so young I don't see how it could confuse him, if you go back to diapers for a few months, or a year and try again later he won't even remember having tried before. It's not like you will be going back and forth between underwear and diapers within weeks.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I replied to this in our discussion thread in the other group :)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2010