Why is it safer to deliver a baby at 7 months than 8 months?

There was a conversation with my girlfriends about it, but none of us know why? Do you know it is true that it is safer to deliver a baby at 7 months than at 8? If it is true, why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i have never heard that and i dont think it makes any sense
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• old wives tale. the longer they're in there,the better off they'll be
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• That is not true. I have also never heard that. It is best for baby to be in there as long as possible and to come when baby is ready. If baby is born to early there are so many compilations that can arise.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I spent one whole month in the NICU with our little guy whoe was a micro preemie 2lb 4oz. Every doctor and nurse there said the same thing. They said that babies born very early do better than the ones who are born just a few weeks early. I don't know why.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• i had a baby at 7 months, but i think it would have been better to have him at 8 months! their lungs would be developed, their suck swallow reflex would be developed, and i think issues with the eyes would be less likely at 8 months rather than 7 months. anon :46, my preemie weighed 5lbs 3 oz and still had to spend 1 month in the nicu, yours did well!!
    an interesting thing the nicu nurses told us is that african american girls are the strongest and spend less time in the nicu than aa boys, and caucasian girls stay longer than aa boys, but shorter than caucasian boys. to sum it up, african american girls are stronger than caucausian boys! why don't the african american women run for president?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• It's not true. It's a wive's tale perpetuated by idiotic nurses.. the same sort that accidentally gave my son the wrong antibiotic and kept "forgetting" to call me to feed him when he cried so they could give him formula. Stupidity stupidity stupidity.

Just because a few medical people may say it, doesn't make it true. They also used to say that smoking and drinking whilst pregnant were perfectly health and good for you, and smoking was prescribed for stress!! So, take what they say with a jaded eye sometimes or you are liable to have some harm done!

The longer a baby is inside the mother - the better they are developed.. !! A baby is much better off being born at 8 months vs. 7 months.

happy2bmommy is right tho, there are differences with ethnicity how premies and sick newborns tend to fair.
    Anonymous

• my nicu nurses said, tough black girls and whimpy white boys. lol. not true in my sons case. he was their little stud.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 6:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• There is a difference between delivering at 7 and 8 months. It's not an old nurses tale. The difference is lung function. At 7 months the lungs are developed and have high surfactant production. At 8 months the surfactant production slows because it is not needed immediately. It is better to deliver at 7 months because surfactant production is high, which means easier breathing for any child, regardless of race. Don't worry though, if you are 8 months, your MD may order a steroid injection to help you baby's lungs.
    ldRN2010

Answer by ldRN2010 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2010