I NEED HELP WITH MY PUPPY!!!!

i have a 4 year old jack russel, and just got a 4 month old beagal for valentines day. My fiance suprised me with it, and i was happy but now not so much. He eats my wood table, scratches my bathroom door so now the wood and paint is chipping. We have been using our guest bathroom as a cage for him cuz when hes in his normal cage he ALWAYS poops in it and ends up laying in the poop all day long, atleast the bathroom if he poops hes not stuck in it. Also, my fiance has been home with him since he wasnt working, now he is working and everytime he leaves or goes in shower my pup is whinning and barking for him. He sleep in our room with our other dog. Any tips or ideas how i can fix any of these problems?? Im at a loss and ready to get rid of my pup cuz between working full time, 3 kids, a toddler, and 1 dog already, and now NO SLEEP im going insane!!!!! =(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Pets

• When my dog was a puppy we took her to obedience school. We were told that when they would do something bad to spray their nose w/ breath spray (benaca) (sp). Worked for us. If you cant get that try lemon juice mixed w/ water. Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• they sell a bitter apple spray for the chewing habits but you need to replace bad habits with good ones. He needs a specific toy or bone that his is given in place of the table etc.. Each time he chews on it redirect him to the bone/toy. Use the same words everytime and screaming and yelling or getting frustrated doesn't teach him anything. Same with children yelling and hitting is not the way to go. They rebel even more seeking negative attention. Also dogs feed off your emotions and obviously something isn't right or he's not getting the proper attention. Yes he's a puppy but puppies can be trained too. YOU need to train him, he wouldn't just know things out of no where. if you have no time for him you should find a new home for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• If the dog is pooping in the crate, the crate is to big. You ned to go a size down. What this puppy is doing is very normal puppy behavior. I would get him some toys like knogs, soup barrow bones. Things that can't easily be chewed up. Bitter apple can help with this also. He needs to get on a routine. If you have a friend or family member that could come let him out mid day that might help also.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• some pet stores have puppy classes and such- I'd look into something like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• if it helps to one of the annonymous posters, we do have time for him, like i said my fiance was home al day with him. he just started a part time job so most the time someone is home with him. Being home with him wasn't my issue, i was asking for help on how to train a puppy to not chew things and not bark his face off all night and all morning when my fiance leaves.
    kristalsfirst

Answer by kristalsfirst at 10:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• *kongs
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I agree with the person that said the crate was too big. It needs to be only big enough for them to stand, turn around and lay down. Some crates come with a partition for you to use during the puppy stage. As far as the barking, I don't know what to tell you. Beagles are known for barking. I would suggest getting him into a puppy obedience class. Also, maybe more exercise for him? In my experience a tired puppy is a better behaved puppy.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• And this is why people need to do their research BEFORE they get a dog.

There is this thing, its called TRAINING, It works wonders for puppies who have been allowed to do what they want, when they want, how they want and why they want. To stop him from chewing, tell him no and give him a toy. DO NOT spray him with bitter apple, do not spray your furniture with it, its abuse and its no good for your stuff.

Get him a smaller crate, if he is pooping in the crate, its too big and he has too much room to move around. The crate should be only big enough to stand up, turn around and sit down.

Take him to school....he and you will learn proper behaviour. And now...I wait for the reasons why none of this can happen.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• BTW there is no such thing as a beagal, there is however a beagle.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Wow, Acid, you're mean.

I think the crate is too big also. I put my rat terrier in a cat crate. And if you can handle a Jack Russel, you'll have no problems with a Beagle as he gets out of the lonely puppy stage! ; ) good luck with the smaller crate, mama!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2010