Is the air traffic controller a good father or a bad father for letting his son to participate?

3/10/10
(CBS) The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating how a child was allowed to direct air traffic at the nation's sixth-busiest airport - New York's JFK International.
And an FAA official told CBS News Wednesday that the agencylearned during its initial investigation that the same air traffic controller, Glenn Duffy, brought a different child, presumably also his child, into the tower the following night.
CBS News Correspondent Kelly Wallace reports the first incident, on Feb. 16, involved a child on the radio to pilots of planes awaiting takeoff. The boy was allowed to make at least five transmissions to commercial jets.
In tapes obtained by CBS News, the boy is clearly heard:
Boy: AMX 403, Contact departures. Adios.
Pilot: Contact departures. Aeromexico 403. Adios.
An adult -- reportedly a controller -- made sure the pilots were in on the joke.
"That's what you get guys when the kids are out of school!"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it was bad judgement but not bad fathering. Neither child was left to make their own decisions and as long as the pilot's were able to understand the instructions and were given the proper instructions I think the this just needs to be left go. No one was injured, maybe we could concentrate on parents whose children run drugs for them.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:21 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• what an idiot!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• i dont think he is a bad father..he was showing his kid what daddy does...obviously the kid look ups to dad for wanting to do the radio. I just think he made a bad judgement call for doing what he did. I dont think he should have his job taken for that. Maybe just a suspension or a write up.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:30 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• It is not an issue bad or good father, for doing what he did. It is why did his boss/supervisor let him do it.

Answer by louise2 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• As long as the father was following rules of conduct in the job. I don't see the problem.

What's wrong with teaching my skills to my children?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I don't really have a problem with it aside from the fact that only pilots are allowed to have contact with the tower. Its just a rule so letting the kid do it was wrong. I think it was cute and did not endanger any passengers at all. It's all being blown out of proportion.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I am pretty sure he is now an unemployed Father....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• everyone is making waaaayyyyy to big a deal out of this.
    dellamae

Answer by dellamae at 8:48 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Was anyone hurt?
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• i thought it was great!!!! what a cool dad. i think this is being blown way out of proportion.
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 9:07 AM on Mar. 4, 2010