How can I get my 10 month old to sleep through the night?

My 10 month old son will not sleep through the night. The pediatrician told me that it was because I let him fall asleep while I was feeding him and when he wakes up in the night he doesnt know how to go back to sleep alone. Everytime he has an appointment they ask if he is sleeping through the night and when I tell them no-they roll their eyes at me and make me feel stupid.When my son wakes up-he drinks a little bit of his bottle and goes back to sleep-so we are only up for 15 minutes or so but he does this every three to four hours. Does anyone else have this problem and have any suggestions?

andrea5979

Asked by andrea5979 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like your doctor is right. My dd used to wake up once a night when she was 10 months to sip from her bottle. Then she stopped. Try waiting to make his bottle as long as you can or give him a sippy full of water and let him try that, maybe he will get over it! GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Sorry sweets, but your doctor is right, I quit letting my children drink themselves to sleep early on. But at the same point, your doctor may be right, but if it doesn't bother your or hubby having to get up at night with him and if it's not having a negative impact on your lives, then who cares? Do what ya want
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Im having the same exact issue now with my DD, she is 10 months also i rock her to sleep with a bottle,( have been since she was born). She will sleep a few hours then wake up. Her doctor told me not to go get her when she wakes up and let her fall back to sleep on her own. The problem with that was she screamed the whole time for me, and i couldnt stand to hear her cry. It was easier to just get her an rock her to sleep. I also tried giving her more to eat before bed, just like 2 more oz in her bottle, thinking that would keep her full longer, but she still woke up a few hours later. This past week i didnt make her a bottle i just rocked her to sleep in my arms at the foot of my bed, lol, seems to be working for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I don't know. I'm 24 years old and I still wake up in the night thirsty, roll over, grab my cup, drink a little and go back to sleep. Maybe your LO is thirsty. You could offer water.

I also think your doctor guilting you about it is just wrong. My doctor didn't even ask if my son was STTN til his 1 year appointment! And when I said "he wakes up often at 4 am, nurses, and goes back to bed" he said "that's fine" . the end.

I seriously think you might need a new doctor - one that doesn't purposely make you feel stupid or get annoyed.

Your son MAY have a sleep association. But honestly I nurse my son to sleep, and I don't care, his doctor doesn't care (why should he? It's not his breasts), and he IS capable of soothing himself. Often I hear him rolling around or talking softly and he goes back to sleep.

I would think maybe your LO's teeth could suffer, so brush em, but otherwise, go with your mom instincts. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• P.S. I only mention the teeth because I know formula can cause tooth decay whereas braestmilk generally does not in the absence of other foods/adult saliva on the teeth (studies indicate the sugar in breastmilk does not feed the bacteria that eat teeth unless adult saliva is present, not sure why!) but formula does. Not knocking formula at all, just saying that it does.

In a normal child's teeth, most of the time, a little formula that's on the teeth during the night is not going to cause any harm.. But if for whatever reason the teeth are not as hard as some children's teeth (my teeth for instance were soft as a child) this can lead to decay from the formula on the teeth. So that's why I said brush his teeth or switch to water. I have nothing against you feeding a bottle in the night.

And I would keep feeding the formula and not switch to water if he drinks more than 1 oz. That would to indicate hunger to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I agree with the pp. Don't mess with a good thing. I see nothing wrong with waking briefly and going back to sleep. Most adults do that!
    Most babies wake up in the night. Adults do to to drink or have a pee or a scratch etc. Babies aren't different. You can, of course, put water in the bottle rather than formula if he's waking for thirst -- like the PP said if he's downing more than an ounce that it is likely hunger.

I say leave him alone if he's healthy and happy.

I don't get why an hour pre bedtime elaborate routine is okay. but brief wake ups to adress real needs is poo poo'd. I say ldo what you are doing. A pediatrician is an expert on child illness, and shpiuld keep other advice to themselves.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Wait about eight months.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:06 AM on Mar. 5, 2010