What to do with a whole chicken???

I bought whole chickens because they are so much cheaper, here is the thing - I can't cut up a raw chicken because it makes me sick.

Any suggestions for recipes that so not involve dismembering the chicken??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I used to stuff it and put it in the crock pot. add a can of cream of whatever soup and cook.
    Can you cut up a cooked chicken? I boil them till the meat falls off the bone and make chicken and noodles, soup or king ranch chicken.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Roast it!! Put some pats of butter under the skin, season the skin with garlic, a LITTLE rubbed sage, and ground thyme, sea salt, and black pepper. Heat the oven to 375F. Put a "tent" of aluminum foil over the top(so it doesn't dry out and so you don't have to keep basting it), and the last 20 minutes of roasting, take the tent off so the skin crisps up and turns golden brown. It's done when the meat starts to pull from the bone and when you gently push on the drum stick, it pulls away from the rest of the chicken.
    Go to allrecipes. com for roasting times.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 8:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• beer can chicken! here's a good recipe for it - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beer-Butt-Chicken/Detail.aspx

its really yummy!

or just roast it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Just cook it whole like a turkey.

Answer by louise2 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• ^^all good ideas. just cook the bird and use the breasts for one recipe and cube the rest of the chicken another day for any other recipe.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Stuffing it is a crap shoot - either you get dry chicken and cooked stuffing, or moist chicken and salmonella stuffing. There's an easy crockpot recipe that makes sure it's cooked evenly, though. Grease the crock pot, put the stuffing mix in the bottom of the crockpot, put the chicken on top of the stuffing, and pour a can of cream soup or a container of stock/broth over the chicken. You can add chopped veggies if you want, too. Put it on for 8 hrs, and it will all be cooked safely when it's done. (you can start this with a frozen chicken, if it's thawed already, the cooking time will be shorter - also works with cut up chicken or breasts)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I either roast them or boil them, then bone them and use them in other dishes like chicken enchiladas, chicken divan, broccoli stuffing bake, chicken soup, chicken noodle casserole........

Easy to pull the meat off the bones once it's cooked!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• i stuff it with citrus, usually orange and to p it with butter salt and pepper, then i roast it. i boil them and make chicken soup, or white chicken chili, or chicken enchiladas.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I put mine, frozen, in a metal 9x13 cake pan. Drizzle & rub with olive oil, cover in whatever spices/herbs/seasonings sound good, cover with foil, and roast at 200 for 3 hours, 300 for 2 hours, and 400 for 1 hour. It comes out as tender and moist as using the crock pot, but without needing extra liquid. I take all the meat off, use it for whatever, then put the carcass, skin, pan drippings, everything we don't eat, in a big pot, cover with water, and boil for stock. I ONLY cook whole chickens and this is my favorite way, other than in my cast iron dutch oven over a campfire.
    Anonymous