How do I get a picky child to eat?

My son is 11 years old and is such a picky eater. And he also worries about how much he eats. He only weighs 61 pounds. This has caused him to have stomach problems and miss school. I have never known anyone who doesn't like to eat. In my family that is unheard of. Can anyone offer me any suggestions? Next Monday he has a doctor's appointment and I am hoping to get some answers. But this is an issue that we have lived with for many years now. It is starting to wear me down.

sweetiepie333

Asked by sweetiepie333 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• shouldve nipped that in the bud yrs ago. maybe you can ask the dr if you can give him protien shakes...idk...it will be hard to get him to start at this age.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• He doesn't like to eat? and he's only sixty one pounds at eleven!? I'm thinking you should get him some sort of anorexia therapy. Or at least ask the doctor about the possibility, just because he's a boy doesn't mean he can't be an anorexic and any girl who was exhibiting problems like that would be checked out by a psychologist to see if they needed some sort of intervention or food therapy or something.
    Anonymous

• I'm 46 and I'm a picky eater with a very small appetite and have been that way all my life.  Some people are just like that and there is nothing you can do. 

It is not something you can "nip in the bud".  When I started my first dd on solids, I was determined that she would not be a picky eater like me.  I made all my own baby food and exposed her to a wide variety of foods especially veggies and I am happy to say that she has a good appetite and has a well balanced diet (she is 17).  I repeated the same exercise with my youngest dd and it was an epic fail.  She refused everything I gave her and would only eat store bought baby food and now she is 13 (tomorrow) and just like me.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:55 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2010