So my 9 month old slept through the night last night for the 1st time in months, but...

when I woke up she was on her belly. I never put her down like this but she obviously rolled over at some point last night. She usually gets up 3-4 times a night so sleeping for a full twelve hours last night was AMAZING....at this age is sleeping on her belly ok? Should I try putting her down that way tonight???

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep putting her down on her back. It's ok if she rolls over on her own, but still better to put them down on their back.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• if she rolls over on her belly then she rolls over on her belly. I sure wouldn't worry about.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• At her age the risks of SIDS is greatly reduced and if she is able to roll back and forth on her own there isn't a lot you can do about it anymore. I would continue to lay her down on her back and allow her to roll over if she wants to.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• She can choose her own position. Just put her on her back. She is in a growth spurt so is going to sleep longer than her usual pattern.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• All 4 previous posters are right, so long as she can roll both ways and you continue to put her down on her back, it's okay if she rolls onto her tummy herself. The risk of SIDS is greatly reduced at age 1, but it is a good idea to follow all safe sleep practices until age 2. Here's a good list of other tips: https://www.halosleep.com/keep_your_baby_safe/safe_sleep_tips/
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 5:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2010