How many of you HATE clipping coupons?

I mean really... why should I, the consumer, have to LOOK for deals to save money? Why can't the stores just put the daggum coupon next to the product instead of mailing it to me or make me PAY for a newspaper to clip a 25 cent coupon! Heck... I lose money when I have to PAY for the newspaper to look for coupons!

Why can't stores just give a "across the board" discount on certain brands, their brand or just a percentage off my bill altogether?

It would save me time and energy as a consumer! And... I wouldn't have to keep up with all the coupons I MAY or MAY NOT use.

:-)

Let me know your ideas for a better saving experience!

lolodee

Asked by lolodee at 9:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• its our job as the consumer to find the best deals, coupons etc....

if they put the coupons beside the product what's the point? they might as well just lower the price and we know they're not going to do that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I look at it this way - everyone who isn't using the coupons is paying a laziness tax, and it is that tax that makes it possible for me to get everything for free because I take the 2 seconds to cut out the coupon. If you're losing money on the paper, you're not using enough of them ;) But really - just get organized. Don't clip them until you're going to use them - just file them by insert in a folder, organized by date, and use one of the matching services like grocerygame or couponmom that tells you what week to use the coupon w/ sales. Only cut the ones you need when you need them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I hate it

but love seeing how much I save each time I shop.

I normally buy stuff that is on sale and with a coupon. :)

Hard work pays off...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I hate digging thru the stack in the store then deciding if it is cheaper and then throwing away a coupon. I guess I dont do it enough to be good at it but I do love seeing how much I save if I go thru all that hassle!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CLIPPING COUPONS! I save about $70-$100 weekly using coupons. I am a SAHM/Homemaker &feel that since I am not bringing in any type of outside income, it is my responsibility to do what I can to save money. It is my way of contributing to the financial part of the household. I do spend money to get these coupons, but, I buy the local 50 cent paper instead of the more expensive one that comes out on Sundays. I buy several of these papers so I can get several of the same coupons to use. As far as stores giving you discounts on certain brands, they actually already do. With these sales, you would add coupons on these brands to get even more savings. Just the other day, a certain deoderant was on sale. I had 6 coupons for this type of deoderant. So with the sale and coupons, I got 6 deoderants for FREE. I've done this with toilet paper, laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent, food, etc. It's so worth it!
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 10:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Wow... that is awesome, Joanna!

How about the entertainment book? Have you purchased one of those? Or do you strictly clip coupons for grocery, commodities, etc?

I love LOOKING for deals... I just hate clipping. But... I guess if it saves you that much money a week, well... it would be worth it!

My issue is that I hardly ever find coupons for the items I actually use. I normally shop outside the perimeter of the store. Mainly produce, meats, eggs and dairy. I don't shop for much more. We buy toilet paper, paper towels and napkins once a year in bulk at the case lot sale for the military.

I never can find a coupon for the items I need that moment such as the deodorant, laundry detergent, soap, etc. I just go with what's on sale.

Honestly, I wish I did enjoy clipping coupons... But... I don't... :-(

But... I still try! LOL
    lolodee

Answer by lolodee at 10:26 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• lolodee, I used to be in your exact situation. I never used to see coupons for the brands I use. So I started clipping coupons for brands I don't use. I never used Angel Soft toilet paper, but, I do use toilet paper. So I decided to clip the coupon in hopes that the item would go on sale so that I could use it. And it did! I got 24 rolls of toilet paper for free! I have done this with lots of things and have discovered that other brands of items are just as good if not better than the ones I normally would use. When I sit down to clip the coupons, I see a coupon and think, "OK, would I use this product if I had it in my house...regardless of the brand?" And if yes, I would clip it. Yes, I do end up throwing away alot of coupons that I end up not using. But, I always clip them "JUST IN CASE" I see a sale and can get a good deal. If you're really wanting to do this, PM me and I'll send you all my coupon info.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 10:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Oh my hell if you have the patience more power to ya! I hate price matching at walmart period! I'm not a very patient person when it comes to shopping period! Let alone do I wanna deal w being behind some fool with stacks of coupons and price matches in line it's like hurry the hell up and get the hell outta my way I have ppl to see and things to do besides wait for your organized ass! LOL idk I guess I just don't have the knack for a coupon caddy lol
    Anonymous

• Now I will say this in response to the PP. I HATE price matching. I do it only if it's necessary. Like if a store has a sale on an item but does NOT accept coupons. I'll take their ad to a store that does accept coupons and price match the item so that I can take advantage of both the awesome sale AND the coupons. I started couponing in October and have only price matched twice. I'd rather just take the time to go to the store having the original sale than have to mess with all that price matching business. Because of this, I buy my groceries at 2-3 different stores a week insead of just one. One week I went to 4 stores.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 1:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• most coupons are for processed foods, which we do not eat. we use baking soda and vinegar for cleaning, so we don't need coupons for those things, and diapers, tp and paper towels we get at costco, so the grocery price with a coupon does not seem to make a difference for us. so, i don't clip coupons. to waste less $, i put a bit more time into menu planning.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2010