Should you have a double pad lock on your front door???(keeping kids in?)

Just started me thinking,the question about ppl locking their kids in their bed room at night. My dh and I have double pad locked doors(in side and out) and window locks. The reason for this is that the kids were running out the door(coming in and out) We live on a farm,that is muddy,dirty AND just off a major high way. They both have ADHD. Our dd was trying to climb out her window when we told her to go to her room. Dh and I both have the keys to the front door so if their was a fire we could get out. Oh,and we DON'T lock them in their rooms at night. What do you think are we a case for CPS???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I need a double lock on the front door, not for the kids though it is a GREAT idea IMO! mine I want because we live in town and have the glass window on our front door. Way too easy for burglars to just break and turn the lock knob if they wanted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I think as long as the locks are on the front door you're probably safe. At least they can get out to go to the bathroom. I'd like to see if we could get an extra one installed on our front door. We're on the bottom floor in an apt building and the front door goes out into a breezeway. The boys' room is close to the front door and there are times they get up in the night to use the bathroom and I never even hear them. Not sure the management would let us though, we can't use like a chain type lock cuz DH works nights and sometimes gets in about 3-4 in the morning.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I think it there are for safety then it is okay.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• It depends on who answers. Too many people on here seem to think children are free range creatures and should be allowed to do whatever they want. And that if a parent wants to spend five minutes doing somthing else to recharge they are lazy and cruel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I always thought those double locks were dangerous. What if there is a fire and you panic and can't find the keys or can't get it in the lock? I would never have them but I'm not about to tell other people not to use them. We rarely even lock our front door. It's just a regular dead bolt. All the kids know how to open it anyway but the older 3 are allowed to come and go as they please as long as they yell that they are going out (they aren't allowed off our block so I know where they are...they are 7, 8 and 9). I think the only time our front door is locked is at night...if someone remembers to lock it (which would be my husband since he gets home around 11pm).
    I've never had a problem with the kids trying to sneak out, though. They know they lose the privilege of playing outside unsupervised if they sneak out or pull stupid stunts.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• If you are a case for CPS, the irony would be that you would be charged with neglect if your children broke something climbing out a window or ran out onto the highway.

I would see about getting a fire alarm system wired throughout your house and connected to an alarm company or fire department; and that your children know what they should do in the event of a fire.

I had a little escape artist, but not as bad as some have. Just having an alarmed house worked OK for us.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Is it possible to put up a fence between you and the highway?
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• We have the double lock on our back door because the top half is glass. Our front door has just a regular dead bolt for now. If either of our kids showed signs of wanting to bolt out the front door, I would change that in a hurry. Our friends have twin girls that decided it would be funny to walk out the front door naked when they were only 2. They were able to reach the deadbolt and got out into the street. When they told us the story we thought it was cute & funny, but we didn't have kids at the time. Now that it's a reality, I would consider it in the interest of keeping my kids safe. We also have an alarm system that tells us when one of the doors is opened so right now, we rely on that to tell us if our son is trying to sneak out.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the responce;) I feel better. Seriously,the reason we did this was to protect them.
    The fence idea is a good one but,we already have one in the back yard for our four dogs. My kids just climb right over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Mar. 5, 2010