How to handle a 22 month old son who cries every second I'm not holding him when I have a newborn and older toddler to care for?

He has middle child syndrome. How do I help and still make time for the other kids, not to mention the housework too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just let him cry. He will stop eventually.

Answer by louise2 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Try talking to him while you're not holding him. He'll cry, but as long as he has everything he needs, it will subside when he sees that you don't have to be holding him to be paying attention to him. Also having him "help" with the newborn may also help him go from being the baby to being big brother. He just wants to make sure that he's not being replaced. Good luck hun
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Man you have an older toddler, a 22 month old and a baby? Simply have some sympathy for the child. Sheesh he is feeling neglected. Let him sit on your lap and help you with the baby. Talk to him, cuddle with him. He needs one on one time. Who can blame him. He is stuffed between two other siblings and needs his ma's love.
    I btw have three kids in three years so I never cleaned at all during this time. I just let it fly and tried to make it through that time.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Give him extra special attension. Let him help with the baby. Don't ignore him. He is having a tough time dealing with all this right now. I know I have 5.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• " Don't ignore him."

I never ignore him. I would never ignore any of my children.

I try to give him extra attention when I'm not caring for the baby, who's been sick, but he wants my atention 100% of the time and doesn't want to share me at all. Right now I can't let him help with the baby because he tries to hurt her and she's a newborn. I need tips on how to difuse his anger towards me and jealousy towards the baby so I can get him excited about helping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Kids first, housework second it took me, four kids later to realize that.

Make him feel like a big brother, he can do more, help, and hold his sibling(of course on the couch, with you right there). Get him more involved and tell him you are a big boy and the baby can't do nothing right now so he needs OUR HELP.

Encourage him, pay attention to him-definitly have some time out of the day where it is just you two. He will be happier with a 1/2 hour of your time, then give him puzzles to do while you clean.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Trust me I know what your going through, I have one that is 6 and 7...

You can do it...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• maybe you could have a special box with a few toys that are for those times that you can't hold him. maybe you could get him a doll, and he could mimic what you do with your baby.
    hopefully this will pass.
    my first had no problems with my second, my second really just ignored #3 and #4, but i worry that my #4 will have a hard time with #5 that is due in 3 months!
    keep us updated when you find what works!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2010