Insurance

People have to buy home owners insurance or pay for it themselves when the house burns down. People have to have automobile insurance or pay for it themselves when they have a wreck. Why shouldn't people have the right to buy health insurance or not, and if they get sick, they need to pay for it themselves? If it was this way, people would get smart enough to get insurance for catastrophic illnesses and be personally responsible for themselves and their children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I absolutely agree with the question. People should have the right to decide if they want insurance or not. As for auto insurance, I'm not sure how Michigan works, but most states require you to have collision only insurance. Basically, that pays for the costs of the person you hit if you are at fault. Any costs you incur yourself are your own to take care of. That protects another person, but you still have the right to decide if you want coverage for yourself or not. If you choose not to have homeowner's insurance and your house burns down, then you are responsible for the possible hundreds of thousands in damage yourself. It's your choice. If you choose not to have health insurance and do get sick, ALL hospitals are required to treat you and work with you on a payment plan.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I agree. I dont understand people getting pregnant and assuming that they can just use medicaid. Medicaid is not insurance!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• But what happens when you are sick and you don't have that insurance? If you have no way to pay thousands of dollars in medical bills then does the hospital have the right to refuse you service and turn you away to let you die? Or do they treat you at their cost knowing you will never have the means to repay? If that is the case then the costs ends up being passed on to other patients. What about children whose parents elect not to get insurance? Should they not be treated? Obviously this would work if people paid what they owed in medical bills, but medical costs are so outrageous that most people can never pay what they owe out of pocket if they don't have insurance. My health insurance is not great- I have high deductibles and copays- and it still costs more per month than my mortgage payment.
    BTW, in Michigan you must have auto insurance, there is no choice. I think people need health insurance just the same.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• See the difference between auto and homeowners as opposed to health insurance is I can choose not to drive and I can choose not to own a home. This proposal the choice is taken away from me. To live in the US I have to have health insurance. What about the rich? (You know those people who are going to be taxed to pay for all of this) Many can afford to pay for their care and have the resources why shouldn't they be allowed to do so?
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 5:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I still do not understand why we cannot do this the way we did for centuries~~get sick, go to the doc, pay the doc. Quite simple, really. I remember my parents paying the doctor before we left the office when someone was sick. And I'm not really that old....... This would have been in the 70's & early 80's before the HMO thing got so popular. I think that the simplest way is usually the best way, and this to me is the simplest, just to pay the doctor. So much easier, no claim forms, no prior authorization, no checking to see if this doc or that one is in network, can I get this medication or not with my wonderful insurance...
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I think everyone should have to pay, do community service of some sort to cover the cost of insurance. If everyone paid they could lower the cost. If hospitals could  either deny anyone w/o insurance or treat and jail them that would help too. I don't mind paying for insurance but I feel it needs to be affordable so that each person can contribute in some way.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• think everyone should have to pay, do community service of some sort to cover the cost of insurance. If everyone paid they could lower the cost. If hospitals could either deny anyone w/o insurance or treat and jail them that would help too. I don't mind paying for insurance but I feel it needs to be affordable so that each person can contribute in some way.

This would work for me, because I ALREADY PAY. I am very tired of paying for people that don't pay for themselves.
    Anonymous