Do kids who have two working parents have more opportunities of getting a job than the kids that have only one working parent?

Recently my friend who works full time as a city employee told me that she sees a great future for her son. She plans to help her son to obtain a job for the city and if her son doesn't like it then there is always the possibility to get a job with the help of Father's practice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Possibly.. if the kid wants to follow in mom or dad's shoes. but what if they don't? It wont help them any. Will it help them get a good job? not really. If Daddy is a Dr. there is nothing he can do to provide a job for his Dear son unless that child reaches for it himself and earns it. I think that no matter what if a child sees at least on parent working hard for a living and is taught to respect money and to have good work ethics they will succeed no matter what. (once again if the child puts forth the effort) Think about it, lets say your city employee friend gets her son a job. He is lazy. Incompetent. Constantly Tardy. Did his mom really help him? Now, take a SAHM who enforces work ethics at home and taking pride in the job you do even if it is cleaning the bathroom. She also teaches her child to work for their money and respect a dollar. He becomes a janitor and keeps the job for 30 yrs. Who did better?
    danmck1120

Answer by danmck1120 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• It just sounds like they have more contacts.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• That is everywhere in my town it is not what you can do, it is who you know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• BTW, this by NO means implys that a SAHM won'tt do a sucky job and the working parent will be the better teacher. I was just using for instances. I think every parent has the opportunity to positively influence their child. (OR negatively)
    danmck1120

Answer by danmck1120 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• ria & danm: Thank you for the comments. op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Absolutely not, but that sounds like Nepotism at its best, but there's nothing wrong with that unless you are pressuring your child to go into positions you can get for them when they don't want to.

As a SAHM/Housewife who is very involved in the community and our church, I probably have MORE contacts than my husband does. My oldest 2 children are not going into their father's field (engineering). My contacts on the other hand helped one son get sponsored for his Law Enforcement Training course (free ride) and the other son has summer music opprotunities (Music Ed. Major) lined up.
    My younger 2, are still in HS and MS but with my contacts I have gotten the inside track on what's required for our state school of Science and Math for my daughter Jr. and Sr. yrs. My son is able to play a unique instrument for free because of my contacts.
    So no, being in a family with one working parent doesn't hinder.
    Anonymous

• anon above: great PR skills. Thanks for the post. op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Mar. 4, 2010