Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I change my daughters last name?

when my daughter was born, her father and I wern't married and we gave her my last name. Now that we are married, I want to give her her fathers last name? How do I do it?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (4)
  • Call your State Vital Statistics office. It's usually at the Health Dept. You might be able to ask at the Courthouse. Depending on your state law some just need dad to go give permission but some need to go through the court (depends on child's age).

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

  • You go down to the court house pick up a name change kit its like $25 fill it out both mom and dad have to sign it then turn it back in

    Answer by Mrs.Jolly at 10:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

  • i had to change my sons last mane cuz his dad refused to admit that blake was his so we had to amend his birth certificate. i live in MI so im not sure if other places r different but i went to our state website and printed out a form to change the name. it cost $40 and took about 2 weeks to get the new birth certificate and had to go to the social security office and change the name on there too didnt cost anything but i had to have his old and new birth certificate, theres a form to print out on the website to take with u

    Answer by monroemommyof2 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

  • If your daughter is under a year old you just fill out the back of her birth certificate and send it to the state office. Thats what I did for my son and had no problems with it.

    Answer by JDalila at 11:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.