How should I teach my daughter to wipe her bottom?

My daughter isn't even 3 yet, so I know we're a ways away from this... she's been trained for quite awhile. She goes by herself to the bathroom when she needs to go, and I have taught her that if she just pees, she can wipe herself, but if she poops she HAS to tell me and let me wipe her (which she does, every time). When she pees, I let her wipe herself just in the front (when I explained she was "drying" herself, she got it and does well). When she poops, I lean her forward and wipe her from the back so that I wipe away from her vagina, not toward it. But my mother sure didn't teach me to wipe that way; I learned that when I was in high school or something lol! Now I still wipe myself from the front (going between the legs), but I do wipe front to back (sorry way TMI I know). How are you supposed to teach a girl to do it? What's the best way -- reaching behind themselves or between the legs? When can I teach her? Thanx.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think reaching behind is the easiest, least messy way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Mar. 4, 2010