5 month old choking on spit, juice and formula?

First off, I called the doctor already and I'm waiting for him to call me back.

My 5 month old has been choking on her formula and juice a lot lately. Almost every feeding she gets strangled at some point and starts coughing.

Then last night I heard her making noises and didn't think anything was wrong but went to check on her and she was thrashing around in her crib and I picked her up and she was choking and breathing really hard out of her nose. I had to suction out her mouth repeatedly to get her breathing normal again.

And she just did the same thing about 20 minutes ago, I was playing with her and she just got strangled on her spit and I had to suction out her mouth again and she was breathing really heavy.

She's always fine after I suction out her mouth but I'm just wondering why this keeps happening and I'm scared that one night I won't hear her and something bad will happen.

Anyone else have this problem??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, sorry.
    If I were you I would keep trying to get ahold of her pedi. Or I would take her straight in...I am not one for taking chances with my child's life!
    Don't go another night like this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• My first thought would be to try a slower flow nipple, at least until you hear from the doctor.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• My friend's daughter had the same issues. She had huge tonsils and had them removed before 1 year because she was constantly choked & had snoring problems.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I would go to the doctor and have them order a swallow study. This could cause a serious problem if any fluid gets into her lungs.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• wow! my dd started doing this at about that age and it easily went away. I guess she was just learning how to handle liquids.Nothing as serious as your dd sounds like. I would say try a slower flowing nipple and yes go to the dr. Good luck!
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 1:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• First I would contact the doctor and stop the juice. No juice at least for the first 6 months and preferably well into toodlerhood. See what happens when baby is just fed formula and nothing else.

Anonymous

• Hello,
    I have a 5 month old daughter who has the same problems. She was born in October perfectly healthy to our knowledge. In Nov we almost lost her. I had given her a bottle about 45 mins before this accident happened. I was sitting on the couch holding her and I looked over and she had already turned blue and was struggling to breath my husband had to suction her mouth out while I was on the phone with 911. She actually quit breathing for about 2 mins. McKenzie has been in and out of the hospital since this accident..and in Nov. she had her first surgery ( they found a vellecular cyst that was a size of a quarter blocking off her airway ). She started doing better after this surgery, they actually had to put a feeding tube down her nose to keep her weight where it was suppose to be. I thought we were finally going in the right direction but..today has been one of the worst ones in awhile with choking. I know how you feel.
    RD86

Answer by RD86 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2010