Do you know what a filibuster is?

There sure are a lot of liberals, mainly in Congress and the news media, that need to go grab a dictionary or do a little research on what a filibuster actually is.
Senator Jim Bunning - for the simple reason he wishes it to be paid for - is objecting to a repeated unanimous consent request by Senate Democrats to call up and pass a bill that would temporarily extend unemployment benefits, transportation funding, medicare reimbursement, COBRA subsidies and other expenditures to the tune of another $10 billion or so.

Democrats are requesting that each U.S. Senator agree - that is, effectively vote “yes” - to said extension without full consideration or debate on the Senate floor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Lately Bunning is taking a lot of heat for refusing to simply give his voice to an extension of unemployment benefits, one of several other items contained in a piece of legislation that the Imperial Harry Reid wants to pass without a vote. The total bill is $10 billion, and rather then just going along with the crowd Bunning told Harry Reid to bring the bill to the floor for a vote.
    Sure, it will take an extra five minutes to fire up the tote board and have everybody push the little button on their desk, but at least you've got everybody on record.

Somehow this has now turned into a filibuster, according to the press or any elected official who can get face time on a news show.
    Anonymous

• Senator Bunning is doing the right thing. He is not blocking anything, rather he is forcing the Democrats to abide by the rules they adopted, known as PayGo. It was a much heralded event when the Congress passed it and PrezBo signed it with much fanfare, but now that reality is staring them in the face the Democrats want to simply ignore the rules they created.

Democrats are using the media to change the meaning of words.
    Anonymous

• Yes, they are people who won't shut up.
    Anonymous

• Great answer anon :07 ***sarcasm****

A filibuster is basically when a politician does not want a bill to come to a vote, so he/she, uses their time to talk and often tag-teams with others who feel the same, so time is used up. The idea is that everyone gets exhausted and shuts down the bill for further review. The filibuster can be stopped with a majority vote, which it is why it was so significant that the dems held a "super" majority.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• They will call it what they want because they thingk Americans are stupid. They have been lying out their asses for a year and getting away with most of it. Now it's second nature. They call these things whatever sounds good for the situation. Whatever will help them the most.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• itsmesteph11 - Your answer makes no sense. A filibuster is what the republicans have been kept from doing since the super majority of the dems. Thank God that is no longer true.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• LOL AngelDawn, Yes that might be your literal definition though not the dictionary version. Maybe you too need to do a little research. My point is Bunning was not filibustering the congress but thats what the Dems want it to look like do thats what they say. So sorry I confused you.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• itsmesteph - I was answering the question. Bunningwas not filibustering. I get that. The question asked if I knew what a filibuster was. I answered. It's not dictionary, because I wrote what I knew, not what a dictionary or google tells me. The saddest thing is that most highschool "graduates" have no clue what a filibuster is or what anything to do with government is.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2010