'Minority' Student Confesses to Hanging Noose at UCSD

The UC San Diego student reportedly responsible for hanging a noose last week in a campus library issued a public, but anonymous, apology Monday and said she had no racist motivation.

The noose's discovery set off protests at a school that is already tense from recent racially charged episodes and triggered condemnations from UC leaders and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

In a letter published Monday on the front page of the UC San Diego student newspaper, the Guardian, the student wrote that the incident was "a mindless act and stupid mistake" and was not meant to recall the lynching of blacks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "As a minority student who sympathizes with the students that have been affected by the recent issues on campus, I am distraught to know that I have unintentionally added to their pain," the student wrote. She was suspended Friday and remains under investigation for a possible hate crime.The letter is signed "Anonymous UCSD Student" and offers no clues about her identity or ethnicity.

Sari Thayer, the Guardian's Web editor, said in an interview that the woman had asked the paper to publish the letter and that "a reliable source" confirmed its authenticity.

The woman wrote that she and friends had been playing with the rope early last week, making a lasso and then a noose.

She said that she took it to the library Tuesday, strung it above a desk and forgot about it. Its discovery Thursday night caused a firestorm on campus, where tensions were high after a Feb. 15 off-campus party that mocked Black History Month.
    Anonymous

• http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ucsd2-2010mar02,0,5953265.story

Naturally, after this event, some other highly suspicious incidents of "racism" immediately popped up elsewhere.
    Officials at the University of California, Santa Cruz say they found the image of a noose scribbled on the inside of a bathroom door.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_14497542

At Cal Berkley the forces of tolerance held a "Blackout" in protest yesterday. All over a hoax

http://www.dailycal.org/article/108480/uc_berkeley_students_protest_racial_issues_in_sile
    Anonymous

• Before she confessed weren't they blaming this on the tea party? lol
    Anonymous

• If she is prejudice and people no it then I could see them being upset.

If she is not and has another reason,

omg-leave the past in the past-so many people worked hard and lost there life for everyone to have equal rights, and like most of us-Lets work on a better future!!!
    I am involved in a interacial relationship (I am irish & german, my husband is Puerto Rican) -and am sick and tired of people using the race card. blahhhhhhh is what I say....

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

I never heard anything about a tea party....

Anonymous

• tired of the race card too

there was cotton dumped on one college campus during Feb. 2 white students arrested
    Anonymous

• Cotton? *gasp* oh no! Not COTTON! No offense intended. My family and I are as white as the day is long and WE picked cotton when I was a kid!
    Anonymous

• will this be a whole different matter to society now that they know it was a minority student? i hope the school sticks to its guns and follows through with their punishment. anyone, regardless of race, show have more common sense than to do that.
    Anonymous

• "She hung it and forgot about it?" Give me a break. She was obviously trying to start something. This is a rascist action even if the offender is black. The same penalties should apply.
    Anonymous

• "Before she confessed weren't they blaming this on the tea party? lol "

No. You're the first person to suggest that connection.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2010