tried to wash out perm, need a color done

Had perm done and hated it - went home and washed and conditioned it immediately. have been using anti-frizz shampoo, deep conditioners and hot oil treatments all week long. also went to a salon for a deep conditioning and a cut to get the fried ends removed. The perm also altered my hair color in places - had colored it maybe 8 months ago. Now I need to color my hair. Because I've washed my hair immediately after the perm, didn't wait the 48 hours to let it set, how long do you think I need to wait for the coloring? I don't want to wait another week - 2 weeks from the perm. I'd like to do it now - 1 week later. And will the coloring possibly help with the poofiness in my hair?

MaxLover

Asked by MaxLover at 12:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• You really should wait, even though you washed it, the chemicals are still there and could affect the color you are trying to achieve. Honestly, you should go to a professional and ask them/have them fix it, especially since the perm affected your color. Regarding the "poofiness" - color may make it worse, it plumps up the hair shaft.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• A perm is short for permanent meaning that it will NEVER wash out. The chemicals in the perm solution alter the disulfide bonds in your hair and make it conform to the perm rod shape. Since it sounds like the perm was a bit too strong considering yo had "fried" ends I would advise either seeing a professional if you desperatly want it colored but know coloring will add more damage to the hair. There is nothing you can do short of cutting all of your hair off to get it back to the condition it was before the perm. Good luck.
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 10:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2010