Army families... This seems pretty crazy to me....

Hey Ladies,
So after months of waiting we got our first duty station.... (drum roll please...!) We are going to Ft Polk, what a kick to the gut and now they tell me the housing waiting list is 8 months! Whoa... the only short term lease I can even find wants to charge $500 NON REFUNDABLE pet fee and thats a 2 month waiting list. If you are from Ft Polk or now anything about this situation or that area I could really use your advice, thanks for reading

JenNAY3

Asked by JenNAY3 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Have you looked into renting off base-long term? We made way more money living off base than our friends that lived on because BAH covered our rent, bills and left us with extra. The rules weren't so strict, the houses were in better condition then base housing (at the time Camp Lejeune was redoing Marine housing), it was actually closer to my husband's shop & the lines at the gate were short because it wasn't a main entrance. It's frustrating having such a long housing list, but there are other options. Hope you can find someplace soon.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Yeah I have, there seems to be a shortage of decent housing and what is available is jacked up beyond our BAH. CrAzy situation.

JenNAY3

Answer by JenNAY3 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2010