How do I handle my mother's "grieving"?

My mother is 69. Her friend is dying. I would like to pay my respects to this woman when the time comes and I would like to be supportive of my mother. The funeral will be held a few hours away. My mother has many issues she has not dealt with in the past. When she is stressed out she will blame me and be down right mean. She will say things like, "What's wrong with you? Don't you have a heart?" If I try to talk about it, she will swallow her feelings and blow it off. Any advice? I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't

manna1qd

Asked by manna1qd at 2:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Relationships

• Know that it's not you that she is angry with. It's situations that are beyound her control. I don't know why, but it seems we tend to lash out on those we love the most. Perhaps because we know they love us too and they will forgive us. Pray for her and if she allows,pray with her.
    teatyme4us

Answer by teatyme4us at 4:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Just be there for her to have a shoulder to cry on. Talk about whatever she wants to talk about. Just tell her that you are there. You don't need to really say anything. if she is a religeous person you can ask your pastor or priest for advise too.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 2:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Be the ears that listen. Be there when she wants to cry and to talk about the heartbreaking situation she is in. Thats the best thing you can do.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 2:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• See if you can find a grief counselor to visit with. They can be a big help I hear. I think just be a shoulder to cry on etc but don't let her get to you. Stay positive and go w/ the flow.
    Taurie

Answer by Taurie at 4:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2008