Is it normal for a 15 month old

to discover her private part ? when changing her diaper she reaches down to her private part to touch it. I just tell her that is where she goes potty and try to hurry up and put on her diaper to prevent her from touching.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 20 month old daughter does it all the time when I change her diaper. It's normal.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Of course it's normal. Just like discovering their fingers and toes. It's a different part and it feels different. Don't make her feel bad about touching herself, just tell her that's something you do in private in her room. No need to give a baby a complex about touching herself.
    Anonymous

• Totally normal. I agree with Anon, no need to "prevent" her from touching it. My daughter was infatuated with hers during bath time... no diaper present there. There is just no reason whatsoever to say "no" to her getting to know her body. Later, you can explain that it's something she can do in the bath, not at the table, etc. We told our daughter the real name, too. There's no reason to be all freaky over this stuff.
    Anonymous

• Actually, there is a reason to stop them from touching their privates. I agree that it is normal for them to discover and want to touch their genitals. It is also normal for kids this age to stick their hands in their mouths. If they are putting their fingers in their privates, then putting their hands in their mouths, they could get sick. I'm not saying make a big deal or get mad at her. I'm saying just gently pull her hand away or keep her hands occupied when changing her diaper. When my son plays with his penis, I just tell him in a calm voice not to play with it but I don't get mad or scold him.
    Anonymous

• I totally agree with the anon's. She's just discovering her different body parts. My daughter is 16 mo. old and does the same thing. It's probably interesting to them because it stays covered most of the time. Yeah, don't make it seem like it's bad or shameful because that could result in issues for her down the road. I just tell my daughter that those are her privates and move along.
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 1:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2010