Whats a good age to start daycare?

caroline123

Asked by caroline123 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I really dont like daycare for children. Children should be cared for at home by the parent.
    Anonymous

• yes, i think it would just be fantastic to have all the kids at home with the parents. But thats a long shot. Wouldn't it be nice to not have to work outside of the home for a living... My daughter started daycare 2 months after her 3rd birthday, it was definitely a hard transition - but she is learning so many more social skills and they are preparing her for kindergarten now. I think the right age is when your child begins to make the effort in being independant without you having to force it. IE: when they are brave enough to walk up to another kid at the park and ask to play, without you initiating it... just my opinion though
    allfiller08

Answer by allfiller08 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I couldn't ever send my children to daycare, I know too many people and have heard too many stories of children being touched inappropriately, or punished cruely. I would not feel comfortable sending my child to be cared for by strangers, even if they are certified. I could never. So in my opinion, a good age to start daycare, is...well...never.
    Anonymous

• 2 yrs my kids dont go to daycare but i wish they did.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• when they can talk
    Anonymous

• I am fortunate enough to be able to work at the same daycare my son attends but I would say around a year is good when they aren't going through seperation anxiety as bad. He learned to walk by going to daycare and is learning to talk pretty good too and socialize with other kiddos there :)
    Anonymous

• IMO, never! We chose to seriously rearrange our lives and circumstances so that I could stay home with the kids. We got rid of cable and ANY other unneeded bill. We started doing things much differently so that we could afford to live on one income. I didn't have kids for someone else to spend all day with them. Olivia goes to a babysitter everyonce in a while for my husband and I to have datenight, she's 2 and a half, but other than that I raise my own kids. I understand that most people can't or aren't willing to take extreme measures to be able to stay home with their kids, whatever...
    rockstarmom2b

Answer by rockstarmom2b at 3:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Huh, the day care bashers are really out in full force today aren't they? My son is enrolled in an hourly care program it's basically a day care where I can drop him off anytime I need to go do something that doesn't involve kids. As long as you and your child are comfortable I think anytime after one year is okay.
    Anonymous

• 15-18 months is when stranger and separation anxiety peak, so if you can wait until your child is closer to two it would probably be better. That way you will also be able to explain to them more clearly where they are going, where you are going, and when you will be back.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• * ps. if you're talking about preschool, wait until at least 3, or 2 years before they start kindergarten, don't be looking for a rigorous academic course for your toddler, look for a warm loving environment
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2010