Swaddle weening

i can't seem to get my son weened off the swaddle but he keeps escaping so he then gets very upset that he is awake and then refuses to go back to sleep. Same thing when i do finally get him down with out the swaddle, he wakes up then refuses to go back down. HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

MegPin

Asked by MegPin at 12:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he and why are you trying to wean him from the swaddle? My daughters were both swaddled babies and we let them be until they really started getting out on a regular basis on their own, or until they started rolling onto their tummies while swaddled and I was worried about them sleeping that way. I think it was around 6 months for both girls, maybe ever so slightly before, that we started. Here's what we did: one arm out (usually the arm they would manage to get out on their own), until they slept normally that way (I think we always planned to go a week in each phase but it never took that long), then both arms, out, and then finally, when they were sleeping well with only legs wrapped tightly, we switched to those Wearable Blankets (Halo Sleepsack, available at Babies R Us). Hope this helps.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• And I should mention doing it this way, soon after this they rolled onto their tummies and slept that way, better than ever.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I would recommend exactly what EmilySusan said. Wean gradually with one arm out first, then the other. We also switched to a Halo Sleepsack as part of the transition, and that worked out great. It is a good idea to stop swaddling at around 3-4 months, which is when I stopped with my first son.
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 3:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Thats what we did with my son worked great
    suckedintolife

Answer by suckedintolife at 12:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Doing the one arm out, then 2, then the Halo Innovations SleepSack Wearable Blankets Cotton worked for me. But there were some tough nights at first. When my little one started with her arm out she would not be used to her hand hitting her face or being free. Until she knew not to be upset with the feeling, she was much better. From there the second hand was not tough. Moving to a sleep sac really helped since having the feet not completely free still gave my daughter security. Just beware that some sleep sacks are not long enough for a tall baby, and you might have to go up a size.
    1calmingmom

Answer by 1calmingmom at 9:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2010