Help>>> Got first shots today....

My 10 1/2 week old daughter received her first three shots today (not counting the one at birth)... She isn't normally a fussy baby. She cries when she's hungry or when she needs a clean butt and that's pretty much it.... I know her little legs are sore b/c she was extremely fussy. I finally got her to sleep, but now every time I lay her down in her bed she instantly starts crying... before she'd just go right back to sleep.
If I could hold her I would, however, I can't do that and fix lunch for my DS.... So my question is... Is there something I can do (without meds) to help her little legs be less sore? Maybe a cool compress or a warm bath, or warm washcloth????

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 12:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I ditto PP anon

I would just do the warm bath and maybe a warm compress. I know once my daughter she was so darn fussy after her shots, even with tylenol I thought I was going to go mental, but when I calmed down adn just thought of a bath she calmed right down and went to sleep for 6 hours.
    Also if you have it or can get it that Johnsons bedtime lotion really helped my daughter relax. It may help your little one too.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:24 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I'm surprised the doctor didn't tell you you can give Tylenol for the first 24 hours after shots. NOT MOTRIN, only Tylenol! Call them and ask the nurse for the exact dosage and if it's ok. This will help with the pain, fussiness and in case she develops a fever. Cold compresses to the leg will help if she can take it. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Tylenol yes! Have you checked her temperature? Give her a warm/cool bath and soothe her to sleep. Do you have a swing? That always works for my little one
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 1:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Without meds, yes, a cool/warm compress can help, nursing if you nurse, if you have a sling, that might be helpful. She might be fussy for 24 hrs or so, or she might feel better in a few hrs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• a cold compress will help.... like an icepack wrapped in a towel.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• you can't hold your baby and fix your son lunch, but you can go on the internet to type this question....seems a bit odd to me. Probably could have had your sons lunch fixed and be holding your baby by the time it took you to type this and read the responses
    Anonymous

• Well actually, ds asked for fish sticks for lunch. I did go ahead and preheat the oven, get them out and onto the pan. However, I won't open and oven door while holding a baby. Nor did I sit and read the responses. As I was pacing with her, walking, rocking, and singing to her I'd stop and take the 10 seconds to hit the refresh button... Then I'd walk away and come back to scroll down and read, then walk away. You shouldn't assume these things, it just makes you look bad... Oh wait, you can't look bad because you have to hide behind the anon button
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 4:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• i know arnica is good for bruises, but i am not sure how it is applied to babies. two of mine had it rubbed on their heads at birth, i have just never used it myself.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Ignore anon hun. I've noticed CM is 80% judgement and 20% actual advise. LOL.

I would give her a warm bath to relax her and rub her legs to help reduce the soreness. Then I would put some cool compresses on her legs. If you have some lavender oil or fresh lavender (put petals into a knee high) put it into the bath water.
    Anonymous

• Wear her, with a sling or other carrier.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2010