Is $35 dollars too much for a monthly allowance, for a 7 year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well I guess if your Donald Trump's kid it would be fine.
    Anonymous

• I think so although my kids are only 2 and almost 5 so we don't do allowence yet, but I think it should be nomore than 1 or 2.00 a week that is a lot for a 7 year old
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• ????what the hell could a 7 year old earn that much for?? WTH? he's only 7. i recommend a $1 a year old but hey if you can blow $ more power to ya!
    Anonymous

• YES.

Even worse if the child does not earn it. Money is not handed out to my children, they learn that they have to earn it by doing something of worth. Good behavior, chores, yard work, good grades, etc.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• It depends on what you want your kid to do with their money. Are they supposed to buy all their own toys, outside of birthdays/holidays? Then, it sounds fine. If it's just supposed to be candy and snack money, then that's a lot of junk food.
    Anonymous

• It's 5.00 a week for no bad words, no arguing and listening (everytime he says a bad word, 25 cents get subtracted... then 3.80 a week for chores.

Anonymous

• It would probably be used for toys... all chores a day are worth 10 cents, so 50 cents a day available. On Sat he gets nothing cause I work and he spends the night at my parents... sunday, he gets 60 cents in the afternoon cause I work the day, if he does all his chores.
    Anonymous

• wow! that's a lot! heck, it's more than MY monthly spending allowance!

ooo! I'll have to implement the cents per chore thing! great idea ladies! I can just put up a jar and insert coins as they are earned! then of course cash it out for dollar bills as needed!
    Anonymous

• There's no way I would pay my child to not cuss, argue, listen, etc. If they don't want to listen then when they happen to mention how much they want to see the new movie then I don't listen either. Cuss me out? I don't think so. I also don't argue with my children what mom & dad says is final. If they would like to discuss things then that is different.

At 7 I would still make them earn their money. Even my 2 & 4 year old "earn" money by helping to pick up the family room, toys, etc. They like having money in their piggy banks and actually don't want to spend it yet. I know the time's coming but I'm encouraging the savings.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• >WTH? he's only 7. i recommend a $1 a year old but hey if you can blow $ more power to ya! <

The question is $35 for a MONTH. I assume you're talking about a dollar a week per year old? That would be $7 a week which would equate to $28 to $35 a month depending on how long the month is. Not quite as far off as you suggest actually.
    Anonymous