How do I deodorize a couch that smells like cigarettes?

My couch HAD to go so my friend gave me a couch that belonged to one of her friends. I didn't find out til moving the couch in last night (and after throwing mine away) that those people were indoor smokers. I already got a rug doctor for upholstery and washed any pieces that I could unzip and fit into my washing machine TWICE but many parts still smell. I don't want my daughter or animals smelling it. What else can I use? I don't really care if it ruins the fabric look. This is a temporary couch and the previous owners didn't maintain it very well anyway.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 1:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• lysol spray.
    Anonymous

• Mist it with vinegar
    Anonymous

• Can you put it outside for a while? It's never going to be great, but that'll help.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Febreez....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Get some extra strength Febreeze spray. It really works wonders.
    Anonymous

• after putting it outside over night I would spray it with febreeze then put dryer sheets under the couch cushions since that smell can come out when you sit down on the couch.
    Mommy2justone

Answer by Mommy2justone at 1:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Try also a couch cover that might help..otherwise I don't know, I smoke cigarettes (I'm currently in the process of quitting, yea!) but I don't smoke in my house, I hate the smell it leaves on my clothes even when I'm outside. What bugs me about other smokers is when they smoke in the house when they have kids and they smoke right next to them. I can't wait until I'm a non-smoker again! I quit for a year and then started back up for some oddball reason, this time it's for good! Good Luck on the couch situation jess...
    Jeana28

Answer by Jeana28 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• It needs to be aired out. Anything you spray is going to be temporary. If you can put it outside for a few days that would be the best thing for it.
    Anonymous

• i would wipe it down with baby wipes and then spray it with febreze that is what i did to my car and it help alot.. no more smoke smell
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 6:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Get one of those steam cleaners.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2010