What is your opinion of those that homeschool their kids with extreme religious doctrines and nothing else?

Like those that only teach creationism but not evolution? Don't say people don't do that because you know they do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• pretty much --- it scares me! all religious freaks scare me!

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I know they do! My ex's uncle & aunt are like that. They have little kids (oldest is 10 I think..other are like 6 & 7). The mom homeschools & does ultra religious training with them. Its boardering on nuts...it really is. The things those kids say is incredible. My son is in his 20's & he sees them from time to time at his grandma's house & he said "Mom. Those kids are being warped! The older boy was telling me how Obama is the anti christ & how Hitler was a good leader." Scary stuff. My son once went to church with them because he was invited. He told me the minister preached for 2 hours & said all kinds of really strange things. My son goes to church all the time & he said he would never go back to that place. Its some kind of fundamentalist sect.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Amalia. Too much religion warps life experience and the ability to see clearly. Too confining. I feel bad for those kids....hopefully they won't turn out to be ax murderers. Sorry but that's how I feel.
    Anonymous

• Wait until they get into the real world.
    Anonymous

• To each their own.
    Anonymous

• Dangerous minds!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Well, the public schools only teach evolution and not creation, what is so wrong with teaching creation? You're making it sound like these children are being brainwashed with nothing but religious instruction all day long and aren't learning anything else. There sure are many Christians out there who homeschool and teach their children creationism and have a very religious focus to all of their schooling, I'm friends with quite a few. Their children are also very intelligent and know all of the other subjects as well. One is graduating from college at 18 years old and having trouble being accepted into medical school because of his age (not because of his grades), another is doing chemistry, advanced algebra, and other high school level classes at 12 years old and is such a perfectionist that her mom was telling me how she refused to let her daughter take a test over because she got a 95% and felt that she needed to get 100%
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• My point is not that they are geniouses or anything, just as in any school situation, a few are, most aren't. My point is that they are being taught a broad range of subjects and have no problem entering the "real world" despite being raised and schooled with an extremely religious focus. My own children are very young, but I'm friends with quite a few older women from my church who have children who they homeschooled who have gone to college, graduated from college, gotten jobs and ended up just fine. I also know many teenagers who are being homeschooled right now and they are some of the nicest, most polite, and most helpful teenagers I have ever known. Several of them have been coming over to my house and helping me since I had my new baby, not for money, just because they want to, They are great with my kids and they have conversations with me like they were adults. They are in no way harmed or unprepared for the world.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Creationism isn't taught because it's not science. In fact, it flies in the face of everything science has discovered about the earth. And before you go spouting off about evolution being a theory - please educate yourself on the scientific definition of theory, not the common one. There is a VAST difference.

To me, children that are homeschooled for the sole purpose of a religious agenda and to segregate children from others that don't believe as their parents do are given a terrible social and educational handicap by their parents.
    Anonymous

• if you would like your children to be taught creationism and evolution than send them to a private school! duh! I think that children should learn a little bit of both and decide for themselves instead of one side. They cant explore what they dont know. Come on religious homeschooling parents
    Anonymous