What to do about bad grades?

My oldest, 13 is constanly turing in projects late and I don't know what to do. How can I punish her that will get it through to her?

HELP!

27paws

Asked by 27paws at 1:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• does he/she have anything you can take away, cell wii, xbox, ps3 ? my niece got a d and she got her cell taken away it was the first time she got a d and her mom was not happy at all
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• sit down with her at the table every night and either offer to help her with her HW or monitor that she is doing it every night. Or email her teachers and ask if they can email you every day what assignments they have assigned and make sure that at the end of every night before she goes to be that all assignments have been done. Possibly no hanging out with friends after school or on weekends til her grades come up
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 2:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I agree with mariisasmommy, spending time with her on homework is the best way to improve her grades. Stay informed by keeping contact with her teachers. The very best thing that you can do to discipline her is to not let her go and hang out with friends or have tv time or whatever it is that she likes to do in her free time. Let her know that there are consequences for not getting her homework done. She also might be struggling to understand what she supposed to be learning about. Don't let her slip through the cracks.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 11:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Honestly, you can't do much. You can't make her physically turn it in. Let her know that school is her job, she gets paid in grades. If she gets bad grades, there are consequences. Good grades will make her feel good about herself and help her be successful. Maybe she doesn't get it. On the other hand, if her grades are overall reasonably good, just relax:)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Take her most prized possessions away. That hurts the most and its very effective. I agree with the ladies answers too. Sit down with her, making sure she does it. You can do other things while shes doing homework. Eventually she will get the message and start to do better.
    Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2010