bathroom breaks at school?

my son has been having accidents at school. the school only has two break times during a 8hr day. ( at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock ) If my child has to go to the bathroom any other time than break time he is NOT allowed to use the restroom. due to this my son has had a few accidents at school. I've talked to the school about this and they said they'd try to move it up to 3 times a day.... a few weeks later he had a accident again and i ask him if he has two breaks or three. he replied two breaks still...........
Is it wrong of them to not allow my child to use the bathroom when needed?

meNmine

Asked by meNmine at 1:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I live and work in a large school district and we ARE NOT to refuse students access to the bathroom. We have a gen rule in our h.s. not the first or last 5 min. of class and have the discretion to not let more than one at a time etc. BUT you can NOT refuse to let them go.
    That is actually considered torture when done to POW's... why do it to our kids. Every person's bladder is diff.
    I'd get a note from the dr. not to mention print out a paper about the physical damage it does to a body to try to hold it in all the time and the psychological damage and
    I wouldn't even doubt its a human rights violation....
    um as you can see IMO... HELL NO
    Anonymous

• Yep. My son's school is the same way. He got in trouble for yelling at the teacher when she wouldn't let him go. He was yelling "If I pee in my pants, I'm suing the school". Yes, my son has an opinionated mouth. LOL He is 13. He says it is hard to even run to the bathroom between classes. I told him if he has to go, then go, I will worry about the consequences later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• How old is he? I think this is crap, frankly. We had to worry about this too w/ our K and first grader. I told both boys to just run out of the room if they have to. We've had accidents as well. And the school asks for spare clothes for six year olds for this reason. That said, my kids can go when they want but they've both expressed that it's difficult and they don't feel as if they are allowed to leave to go very often. Talk to the principal. Surely it's not worth having accidents for the school. So much easier to let them use the toilet! Some kids have less mature bladders. I would raise hell.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• As the wife of a custodian I can tell you why. We now for whatever reason have kids that vandalise the bathrooms. They will get mad for whatever reason and decide to pee everywhere or wipe their crap all over Yes even 5 & 6 yos. When they go in groups it's harder for them to get away with this, and easier to catch the culprits.

Anonymous

• Don't they also go before and after lunch? Have you asked his teacher why he isn't allowed to go at other times when he raises his hand and asks?
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• 10 and 2 isn't enough. I give my students a bathroom break at 9, 11, 12:30, and 2 if they need. I am not a fan of letting a child go to the bathroom on their own, for many GOOF OFF in the bathroom and don't really have to go. That's why we do have the designated class times.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Get a note from your childs doctor giving him the right to use the bathroom when he needs too. If that doesnt work call a lawyer, call the news, call the darn mayor and govenor. How humiliating for your son.

Im telling ya, what has this world come to when children cant use the bathrooms during school. I would darn well be fighting that there is a hall monitor for the bathrooms if the situation is so bad. Ugh Im glad that we live in a small town.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I don't understand why elementary schools are built with outside bathrooms (like, in the halll, outside the classrooms)...my elementary classroom had a separate bathroom (1 toilet), near the classroom sink in the back, right in the room. In K we had to go at specific times (like, by table or whatever so 20 little kids weren't all waiting in line at once) but I think 1-5 we were able to just get up and go when needed, because it was right there.
    Anonymous

• PP - don't know if it was clear or not and it sounds funny lol - the toilet was in a separate little room with a door and all, but the sink was outside the toilet area so it could be used for all classroom purposes - and there was a drinking fountain there in the room too I believe.
    Anonymous

• I would try to get a doctors note saying he should be allowed to go when he needs to.

in my SKs school, they go before and after specials, before and after lunch, and after recess. So total that is 5 times. and although they try not to send them other times, they will send them other times if needed.

i think it is absurd to expect kids to only have to go twice in a day. i know it can be hard since i have subbed, but that is why our schools have all the set times...so you dont have them running in and out so much.

I would have a serious problem if the school was not helping me to help my child adjust to a restroom schedule.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2010