Could this possibly be the reason my ADHD son is reversing (alternatives)?

I have an 8 yr old son who has ADHD. It has been a struggle for him in school the last few years. I have been doing a lot of researching on alternatives. Starting in October I started a vitamin therapy of fish oil (though I have been giving this to him for quite awhile already) but switched to liquid, magnesium/calcium, herbal/homeopathic, multi (been giving this to him for awhile as well), Vit C (same thing, been taking this awhile too), grape seed and DMAE (ditto). By the end of December he was doing WONDERFULLY in school. All his marks went up in 2nd qtr and the teacher was very excited. But he is reversing now. Not focusing, all over the place, etc. :( I am not sure why except for maybe the DMAE and grape seed extract. I stopped giving these to him after he was doing well because I didn't think it had any effect because it certainly didn't before. Could that be it? Also, his diet has not changed from then to now.

costa2

Asked by costa2 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (-10 Credits)
  • Could be. Did you introduce the supplements slowly, one at a time, and wait at least two weeks before introducing another one? Then, when you removed them, did you remove them one at a time, wait two weeks, remove another and so on? This is the recommended way to introduce & remove supplements (or medications) so that you can maybe see a difference with and/or without the supplement. If you didn't, then I would introduce the supplements back, one at a time, give it two weeks between them and see what happens. Then, take them away again, one at a time, and see what happens. If you notice the change after you give back or take away one or the other, then you'll know which one was helping, but if you only notice a change once he's back on both, then they may be working synergistcally and he needs both.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and if he is growing, that can cause regressions also, because the body is using more nutrients to grow, which totally throws off the ratios for a while, but once he's done growing, he may be back to himself.
    Anonymous

• I appreciate your response! No, I didn't start everything one at a time. I didn't think about doing that. He has been taking the DMAE/grape seed extract since last year (Attentive Child), fish oils for almost 2 yrs and mutli-vitamin for about 2 yrs. All of that was not helping so began looking into herbal and homeopathic. I started him on that on October 1st (along w/ what he has been taking) and at the same time started magnesium and calcium. About the end of November he was doing very well and continued to do so until about January. He started regressing. I didn't notice anything at home but would hear from his teachers. Ugh. It was about that time when I stopped giving him the Attentive Child as I didn't think he needed it. Maybe he did...I started giving it back to him earlier this week. IF that is the culprit, how can that be? I understand some vitamins/minerals need other vit/min for support, in order for it to work?
    costa2

Answer by costa2 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• He could be regressing because he is starting puberty and his hormones are starting to change. Kids with ADHD tend to regress when going through puberty. My son's doctor flat out told me that most kids in puberty get worse or the meds don't work because the hormones are off kilter. I can't comment on the natural approach as I don't use that approach but I do know that hormones affect ADHD.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• It could also be something in his diet.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Thank you for all your responses! I do appreciate it!
    costa2

Answer by costa2 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Update: It's been a week since I started giving my son what I think may be the "missing link" and I can already see that he is coming back, meaning going back to when he was doing so well for 3 months when I started him on the vitamin therapy. He is on Spring Break right now so have yet to see how he does in school.
    costa2

Answer by costa2 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2010