Possible Attention Deficit Disorder? Mothers w/children that have this please HELP!

For the past 2-3 yrs I noticed that my 10yr old dd has some serious issues. Since the 1st or 2nd grade (third grade & now the 4th grade its gotten worse) she has a serious problem w/talking waaaay too much in class to the point that the teacher has to constantely stay on her about it. She also has to constantly tell my daughter to turn around in her seat & pay attention. When she's doing her school work or if she's supposed to be listening to the teacher, she gets so distracted when something more interesting is happening. Everybody is saying she has a focus problem big time. & the issue w/the talking in class & not paying attention, this is something that has been happening every single day since the beginning of the school yr & last yr too. EVERY DAY. She also has to be the center of attention & if she's not, she acts out. Could this be a.d.d.? I personally dont think it is, but others have told me to have her tested.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Before you go for an eval to see if adhd could be the problem first go to your pedi. Ask for a hemocrit and hemoglobin count. Also increase vitamin B all of them walmart has small pills called B complex. Often times growth is the factor so they need more iron in their diets. Low iron means less oxygen is being carried to the brain which interferes in concentration. B complex also helps this. Some say Zinc also helps.
    Anonymous

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help

Answer by rkoloms at 9:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2010