breastfed baby and tippy cups....also Q on solid foods

how do i get my little one started on a tippy cup when all he has had is breast milk and breast milk from a slow flow bottle.
isnt the flow on a tippy cup way faster? I odnt want him to choke.

Also

when can I start rice cereal? 4 months? should I start with just a little bit at night or in the morning?

Advice

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 3:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests only breastmilk until at least 6 months, so, no solids until then. Check out Why Delay Solids?

Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about food until your baby is big enough to sit up and pick it up and feed himself. Really only BM is needed until at least one anyway. I also would just wait until your litt one is eating then introduce water in a sippy at the same time. He should be able to just hold it and drink by then. Until at least age one, food is only for trying out, not nutrition. Especially if you are BF only. I would just wait, then, he can go straight to regular table food. No baby junk.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• IMO, solids no sooner then 6 mos, and you don't NEED to use cereal. The sippy cups have a valve, which makes the flow a little slow, though I'm not sure HOW slow compared to a breast/slow flow bottle. Personally, I'd introduce the cup around the same time as the solids, remembering to always nurse/give a bottle before any solid meal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Breastfed babies do very well with the straw sippys or even a regular cup.

Personally I'd skip the cereal. It isn't needed and in my opinion has the flavor of rotten paste. It is also very constipating because of all the added iron. If you wait until the baby can sit unassited, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can actively bring food to the mouth, you can also skip the jarred stuff (expesive and I think tastes bleh) and go direct to table food either mashed or in large chunks that can be gnawed on. Food before one is just for fun, not nutrition. It need not be fussy, unless you want it to be.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• My son is 5months and we are still waiting a little longer to start solids. I will start him on a cup when we start food too, either with a little water or some pumped milk.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 4:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2010