A 4 month old with a UTI?????

A 4 month old with a UTI???
My sister called me and told me my neice, who is 4 months old, was admitted into the hospital with a UTI, Bronchitis and an Elevated WBC count. She is having a Renal Ultrasound today. My sister lives in low income housing living with 4 different families. Her 11 year old son the baby and her share a room. My sisters hygiene is awful, ie; wears no underwear even on AF. I am extremely concerned as to how and why a 4 month old baby girl can get a Urinary Tract Infection. It makes me concerned that the baby is not getting proper nutrition, maybe not getting cleaned well enough or god forbid getting touch improperly by someone in the house. Please help me understand how a 4 month old can get this or what your thoughts and prayers are. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Health

• Usually when baby girls get UTIs, whoever is cleaning them isn't wiping in the right direction.
    Anonymous

• How can you tell if they have that I have an 11 month old?
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• The baby could be dehydrated (not getting enough formula). Also, it is possible this could be a result of sexual abuse.

There is a lot of stuff going on in this baby's house. You really should call CPS on her.
    Anonymous

• If the hospital thought it was anything other than a regular UTI from not changing the baby enough or not getting her clean enough they would have called CPS. They are required to report anything suspicious.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• There are many reasons besides hygiene that could cause a young infant to get a UTI. My daughter had VUR (Vesico-ureteral reflux). She ended up having to have surgery to reimplant her ureters. I was very careful to wipe from front to back and changed her diaper frequently. There are other kidney issues that can cause a young baby to get UTI's. However, if your sisters hygiene is bad and she is not practicing good hygiene with diaper changing, then that could very well be a reason. I just wanted to say that hygiene isn't the only reason. I really hope her little one gets better soon. Sorry to hear that.
    Anonymous

• a friends daughter is just two months old and she was hospitalised for an urinary tract infection................it could just simply be that she is wiping her daughter from the back to the front which is an incorrect method...... and leads exactly to an UTI
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• my DD had a UTI over her first birthday- kidney reflux means there is a structural problem in her bladder that allows urine to flow back to the kidney, meaning bacteria can get to the kidney and damage it. Although a UTI is not uncommon for that age, it usually means there is a problem, which is why they are doing the ultrasound. They also will do what's called a VCUG- where they put dye into the bladder through a catheter and then take pictures as the child pees. We just got back from AI Dupont in DE where DD had a test to look for kidney scarring. If that's what the child has, they will take a low dose of antibiotics to keep any more infections away and then watch to see if she grows out of it, or needs surgery like the previous poster. We have to wait until our VCUG in July to decide on surgery or not. It's not a huge deal, but don't jump to conclusions.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 6:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Thank you for the responses. I did find out the US was fine, she will be in the hospital for a few more days. I asked my sis if she wiped front to back, she is just starting to since this happened. I hope she practices better hygiene on the baby from now on. She does have an 11 year old son and a 9 year old daughter who lives with her dad. I am not sure yet what other tests they have scheduled for her. They were drawing blood not to long ago. I feel so bad that the baby is so miserable right now :-(
    Anonymous