Have you experienced anything like this?

I have a problem with my Dad and older sister-they are unreasonable and I can't explain anything to them. I get so tired of trying to smooth things over with and for family that I'm ready to quit having anything to do with any of them.Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• there's so much crap that goes on in my family and my husband's family, its just best to keep to myself.

my sister thought that her ex's wife was her best friend so she texted her one of my secrets...and i found out about it with this wife!! i mean gosh whats my sister doing? but anyway...i figure if i stay out of it all and no one has no crap on me then its best to leave it at that.

you dont need to explain yourself...let them think whatever it is they want to think, your an adult (or i hope so) so live the life like you want to.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I am living with something similar. My family wants to look perfect.And wants to pretend that we never make any mistakes. My dad is 84 and has started to complain to me about the way my mom raised me and how different I am raising my 11 yr old son.He does the "your mom did this,Your mom did that".I am 46.My parents are married and he lived in our house too.I just stopped talking to him.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 4:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Treat them like children and tell them to "work it out". Then walk away. If they are going to act like children then treat them like children.
    Anonymous

• Why is it your job to smooth things over?
    Anonymous

• Ok, anon :31, I don't think you meant to say treat them like children... I'd never tell my child to work it out and walk away from him.

Anyway, yes. I am in the same situation, only it's my mom. She belittles my stepdad, (they are divorcing) and tries to weed through information to "find stuff out" about him. It drives me crazy. She comments on my parenting too, and there are some days I'd like to tell her to shove it. It's not my job to mediate! But, you know, can't really do that cause she's my mom. I have just accepted her for who she is, the kind of person she is, and have decided that I don't like the person she is, nor do I care to let her affect the way I live my life. I think that's what you should do with your dad and sister. Love them, but that doesn't mean you have to like them, or approve of what they say.

Only you are in charge of how much you let them impact your life.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2010