Has anyone tried Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child with a second baby?

This really really worked well for my first son, who is now 3 and has been a good sleeper since he was 6 months old and still is! However, I'm having trouble trying to stick to what the book says for my second child because the first one goes to preschool 3 days a week and needs to be droppped off by 9am and picked up by 2pm, both of which run into nap times. I don't have any other help to either stay with the baby or pick up/drop off my first child...any other suggestions? I'm a firm believer that if a baby naps well during the day, he will sleep well at night; neither of which is happening for us and my 5 month old. suggestions please!

survivor79

Asked by survivor79 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have that book and read it. It is essentially a huge lengthy book that tells you to put your kid to bed, shut the door, and turn off the monitor. CIO is not sleep training, it's neglect.

With my first two children I did the Ferber method. It can be found in Dr. Richar Ferber's book called "Solve your Child's Sleep Problems." Do not google it for info because people get the Ferber method mixed up with CIO and it is not the same thing. It is an excellent book that will help you way beyond sleep training. It includes information about childhood bedwetting, night mares, etc.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I love the book! I used it with my son and it really worked. The only idea I have is to try to tweak the times of naps and bedtime to form to your schedule. He is 5 months old so it would be a really good time to train him when he can take naps (of course being sensitve to his tired times). I compeletely agree that daytime sleep promotes good nighttime sleep. Also if one of the naps need to be in the car I think that would be fine too sometimes or if he falls alseep in the car leave him in his car seat and bring him into his room and let him finish the nap.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 7:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• That book is not about crying it out, it's about the timing of soothing your children to sleep. I'm also a firm believer that daytime naps help everyone involved. My second daughter (they're only 15 months apart) certainly had to roll with the punches a bit more. Our whole life at times seemed to revolve around our first daughter's naps, but it had to or else she was crazy!!! She had been colicky and fought sleep so much as an infant, but finding her rhythm and sticking to it was absolutely essential to all of our happiness. For our little one, it seemed to matter much less. We always got her the number of naps she needed, but not always at the exact times we would have in a perfect, unscheduled world, and not always at the same time each day. With 9 and 2 commitments, we would probably end up doing things like putting her down for an early cat nap if she got up really early, or holding her off until after 9 if it was later.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2010