this child is going to drive me insane!! please help

ok so andy (3) is starting to show interest in potty training...finally (YAY!). the only problem is that he will not go in the potty at home. he will go when he first wakes up and maybe one or 2 more times (on a good day) but the rest of the time he is not interested. we have tried EVERYTHING. but when we are in public, he goes potty great. we have to make several trips (constantly) but he sits on the potty and tries to go every time and will normally go. why wont he do this at home?! there is only so much time i can spend in public trying to potty train him (lol). everyone i have tried to get advice from says that their kids were always opposite so they cant help me. please please someone give me some tips on what to do. thanks

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• the only advice I have is dont push it and count your blessings that he is showing interest anyplace lol. have you tried the picking out his own big boy underwear that he wears at home? sometimes the wetness will make them tell you and then they transition. dont push too hard tho because he will backslide and not do it at all. I promise he will get it mama, its just frustrating huh? I mean look at it this way, yoou can soon not worry about carrying a diaper everywhere, and he will be able to start a preschool , as some will only take them potty trained. he will get it, deep breaths lol
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• sounds like he likes looking at new places. maybe put interesting magazines or books in the bathroom for him to look at.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• bearsjen: i tried getting him big boy undies that he liked, i tried treats, i tried potty chairs, big boy toilets, a special cushion seat (to go on the potty so he wont fall in), i tried telling him to go peepee like mommy and daddy, i tried teaching him to stand and pee (ha that one was interesting), and we have stopped trying until he showed interest between all of these attempts. he is a special needs child and the drs are saying that on an comprehension level, he may be 2 years old. (i dont agree with their opinions but ok.) but i know that if he can go in public then he can go at home. i know that he could be potty trained but he is very very stubborn. i guess thats what irritates me the most. thank you and outstanding for your help. i will keep trying these things but not push him :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• What about a special toy or books that he can only look at while going potty? Like you keep it in the bathroom, it can never leave, and he can only have it while seated on the potty and trying to go. Let him pick it out and it can be his bathroom toy. Maybe not the most hygenic idea, but if it entices him into the bathroom at home it could work. Or a special game to play with you while he is trying at home. It seems like it must just be that it is so much more exciting to go to the bathroom in public. Or a reward for every time he tries at home might help if you haven't tried that. It sounds like you have gone through most of the normal things to try and encourage him. Good luck- at least he is part way there, I hope he gets all the way there really soon!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2010