i have this SIL that thinks she is mother to my oldest...

do you have something like this? and if so...how do you deal with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am the only one in my family who has kids (I have 4 siblings) and NONE of my siblings act like they are the parent of my child. They do not try to punish her, they don't do anything that I would not approve of. I have GIVEN THEM all (along with my parents) to punish her if necessary (ie. if I am not there) but none of them have ever done so.

It is a respect thing, and obviously your SIL does not respect you. (And for those of you who feel it is acceptable, then your family is respecting you by punishing your children when they're around them, there is NOTHING wrong with that, it is your family dynamics).
    Anonymous

• My SIL also feels that way, even though she has her own child she should be worrying about instead of mine. I simply don't invite her over anymore. I keep my daughter away from her.
    Why do in laws have to be so crazy!? Ugh.
    Anonymous

• In my family its not about who is whose parents. Its a team effort. If we are over at my sisters and my daughter does something that I dont pick up right away but my sister does, she has every right to discipline. I dont take offense to it, they are just trying to help. You should be more greatful!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• My kid. MY RULES. My disciplinary style.

Your kid. YOUR RULES. Your disciplinary style.

My older sister feels this way, though she can not care for the 5 she already has... We simply do not associate with her, since she can not obey the rules. If I attempted to impose discipline, religious beliefs, or any form of guidance on her children she would be livid- Likewise, she is not to do so with mine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Yes, at least she tries to be. I just ignore her when she tries and I tell my son that I am the mommy and the one he listens to me. If my child is in a relative's care for a little bit, that is one thing. But that doesn't happen so that is another reason it irritates me, they don't want to help out ever but they think they can be the parent. But to try to parent when I'm in the same room, back off. The wierdest thing is that she has no children. She is still a teenager. I don't consider paretning to be a joint responsibility. I am the mommy, DH is the daddy. Period.
    Anonymous