Need healthy food ideas please!

Okay, so I am determined to lose weight. I was 145 pounds before I got pregnant. Now, two years after giving birth Im 191 pounds....EEEEKK! I know. I am working out on a daily basis, 5 days a week of various workouts and on weekends my daughter and I spend an hour and a half walking. My problem is, Im confused on what to eat...I tried cutting my portions in half...but then I feel like Im starving all day, and my blood sugar drops. Here is an example of what I eat now:
Breakfast-Honey & Oats Crunchy Granola Bar, 1 cup of orange juice
Lunch-Ham & Cheese wrap with low fat mayo
Dinner-Meat, 1 Veggie, and usually rice
Dessert-Peach or Pear fruit cup
Then if I get hungry in between I have a granola bar with water.
Im not sure what I am doing wrong but I feel hungry, and light headed all day now. And Im not loosing any weight at all...I have been doing this for almost a year now with no result...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Health

• when i cut chemicals and processed foods out of my diet, i don't tend to watch calories or portions. i usually eat every 3-4 hours. i eat brown rice, not white. i eat quinoa salads..i don't eat much bread or pasta, but if i do they are brown. i try to eat 5 big salads a week, using swiss chard, kale, spinach...really dark leafy greens. try oatmeal instead of a granola bar for breakfast, or peanut butter and toast, or eggs. snack on carrots and celery throughout the day...nuts are great too! i am guessing that your granola bars have some chemicals or preservatives, and that your fruit cups have added sugar, probably high fructose corn syrup. try to find all natural ingredients in your food, and you can probably eat more! this sounds like a very light diet :( do you exercise? even a walk 5 days a week is great!
    we have stir frys once a week, with brown rice, fresh veggies, and usually chicken.
    hope you get good ideas! good luck
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• you have to do lots of cardio. cardio is most important for fat loss, but strength training is very important also because gaining muscle is what burns fat - which is why eating as much protein as possible is important because protein turns into muscle. you also want to drink as much water as possible. i carry a bottle of water with me everywhere. i eat no carbs. i eat some sort of protein, and salad or fruit. i ate a chicken ceaser salad for breakfast. for dinner im going to eat some ground beef with ragu on it & a little parm cheese. i eat turkey & cheese, but with no wrap. i just roll up the turkey & cheese into little roll ups & dip it in a little mayo. stuff like that. i also drink these awesome calorie burning drinks called envigas. i weighed 130 before being pregnant, weighed 190 by the end of my pregnancy, and am now down to 150 but i dont get to work out barley ever.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• what the pp's said.

And, after having lost 100 lbs of baby weight, I can tell you that diets do not work- lifestyle changes DO. Eat healthy (cut out ALL processed food), be active- even if it is just an exhilarating walk- and in time it will come off! it didn't happen overnight, you will not lose it overnight. Green Without Much Means <--- this is a snapshot of how my family and I eat.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• More fruits, more veggies. Instead of 1 veggie with dinner, eat 2, and brown rice instead of white (if you're eating white). Instead of a fruit "cup", eat a whole piece of fresh fruit. In between meals, instead of a granola bar, eat a peice of fruit or some veggies. Instead of a granola bar for breakfast - try a whole-wheat english muffin, or whole grain toast, with an egg or 2 and a couple slices (about an ounce) of lean ham, and a peice of fruit, or oatmeal and yougurt. You need to up your fiber & whole grains, and lower your refined sugar and sodium. Also if you're working out that much, you could either be too used to the routine or you're building muscle along with burning fat. Don't worry about the pounds, the inches are more important. Drink water.
    Anonymous

• Cut out the orange juice, it's empty calories. Replace it with real fruit.
    Lose the peach or pear fruit cup. It's loaded with either sugar or HFCS. Opt for fresh fruit instead.
    Make sure that rice is whole grain/brown rice not white.
    That granola bar is probably crap too. Replace it with something whole grain (bagel, english muffin, oatmeal, etc).
    Eat more fresh fruits and veggies.
    Drink LOTS of water.
    It's also possible you aren't consuming enough calories. Boost your fiber and whole grains, lower your refined sugars and carbs.
    I would also add some yogurt to your diet. Organic. Not the kind with aspartame. (Try Stonyfield).
    Anonymous

Eat more fresh fruits and veggies.
    Drink LOTS of water.
    Anonymous

• I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:21 AM on Mar. 5, 2010