How long after your episiotomy did the pain subside?

I had an episiotomy 8 days ago with my first child. It is small and diagonal, and although I can see the stitches (as a thread is hanging lose) it seems they havent kept the cut closed as there is a small gap now, and my perineum is very swollen still. I can't sit down comfortably yet and I can just about walk normally if I try but it hurts, I'm 18 and honestly I am a bit concerned at how it will be visually when it eventually heals, but I'm more concerned at how painful it is and how long it's going to take to heal so I can be more mobile. How long did your episiotomy take to heal and what were your circumstances?

Melissa15

Asked by Melissa15 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Health

• I had an episiotomy and tearing (3rd degree). Did your episiotomy tear further?

Mine took quite a while to heal, but I did have third degree tearing. It was two weeks before I could sit. For the first little while I was slow walking and had a hard time getting up from a laying position and getting out of bed. I'm pretty sure I continued my sitz baths and kept using my peri bottle for about three weeks. I found the sitz baths really helped to decrease my pain. At some point I started adding epsom salts to them as well.

I would say the worst of it was over after about 3 weeks.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 8:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• well i tore. but i ttok about 2 wks to heal
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• quite some time....about 12 weeks. But I think that was because of the stupid choice I made to have sex before 6 weeks postpartum......my skin ripped in the episiotomy site and I am NEVER throwing away dr. advice ever again.
    Anonymous

• I had one with each of my kids, but my youngest is almost 21 so I really can't remember how long it took them to heal. The one bit of advice I can give you is something one of the nurses at the hospital gave me. Did they give you a squeeze bottle to rinse off your stitches after you go to the bathroom? She told me to put a squirt or two of bactine in the water, it will help numb up the site a bit and also help prevent infection. Then make sure you blot the area dry, otherwise the stitches might stretch.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Tears heal a TON quicker (and with less scarring) than a cut. That I speak from personal experience. I tore with my last, and was cut with my first (WITHOUT my permission, or ANY anesthetic to help numb me at all- just effing splayed me open). 9 years later, the scar from my episiotomy STILL hurts if I sit the wrong way for too long, or have too much friction during sex.

It took about 3 months for me to be able to sit without being in dire pain after the episiotomy. Take LOTS of sitz baths. It will help improve circulation, and heal you more quickly- also, use a bit of salt in them to help cleanse the cut. You can also get a foam preparation that will numb you (it is lidocaine based), but the problem with it is, that you will not be able to FEEL when/if you re-injure yourself because of overexertion.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I had an episiotomy (my daughter was delivered via vacuum extraction). I was given something to numb the site before they cut, but it didn't work fast enough, so I felt them snipping me!! OUCH! I also felt the doctor stitching me up.

I think it took about 6 weeks to heal. The area looks fine (according to my SO).
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Oh yes, and as far as what it looks like. I can't say that I think it looks that much different, but I don't really care about that anyway.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 8:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2010