Is it really that big of a deal to give a child under 12 mos peanut butter or peanuts?

My son is almost 9 months old. I give my daughter peanutbutter sandwhiches all the time, and he always cries cuz he wants one lol...and i mean, he's eaten honey nut cheerios, which kinda has peanuts in it i guess, and he's been fine. So do you think it would really be a big deal if i put some peanutbutter on his toast??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it could be.anaphylactic shock is no laughing matter
    Anonymous

• Actually the reason is it's a serious choking hazard. It makes food stick in that tiny wind pipe and not come out with the heimleich manuever. It's not safe. Not to mention feeding babys certain types of food too soon can develop food allergies.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Honey nut cheerios aren't peanuts... it's almonds I think.
    The big deal is the allergy risk in children under the age of 1... however, the risk will still be there at a year if there is an allergy. When a child does have a peanut allergy it's typically very severe... not just a rash like with some foods, but swelling, hives, trouble breathing... so you need to decide if it's worth the risk.
    If there are no peanut or other nut allergies in your family it most likely will turn out fine.
    We didn't give peanut butter until my son was about 17-18 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• thier intestines aren't developed enough to process and they're actually not closed enough in the lining to allow things like peanuts, nuts, milk, honey..etc...
    They can develop allergies as a result and honey carries something that is dangerous for babies under the age of 1. I'm not saying on thier 1st birthdays they're magically ok to eat that stuff, but that is about the time thier intestines are developed enough to properly handle all that.
    Please do some research online....and ask yourself if giving it to them now is worth the risk...or if you can hold out for 3 months.
    PS...I doubt your child is crying "peaunut butter sandwhich with strawberry jelly"....
    Anonymous

• You've gotten a couple of really good answers here. I think it would be a terrible decision to give your baby peanut butter. I also think you should be giving him regular cheerios and not honey nut, which have honey in them and also way more sugar than any 9 month old should have.
    Anonymous

• my Pedi said i shouldn't give him peanut products until hes at least 2. i haven't even gave him regular milk and i know some people give it to their 10 month olds but yeah not me...
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 6:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• The experts are split on the delayed introduction of allergens thing actually. Some feel the delay is not helpful. Others think it is. Personally, I think there's reason to rush it. Both my kids waited until they were 2. One is fine. One is highly allergic.

The risk, however, is not about allergies alone. Peanuts are a serious choking hazard for children that can not chew their foods well. Peanut butter is thick and sticky. It can be difficult for any young child to swallow but most especially infants. Even without an allergy risk, it's not a safe food for an infant. Even a year old is iffy.

The issue with honey is more about HONEY and not honey cooked into things. It's a risk of botulism in 'uncooked' honey. It's better to avoid it but Honey Nut cheerios isn't really what they're talking about. They also aren't "peanuts" as another said. It's Almonds. A child can be allergic to peanuts and not tree nuts.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• You can get soy nut butter. It's like peanut butter but doesn't contain any nuts. My daughter loves sandwhiches made with it. It doesn't taste as good to me, but she doesn't know the difference - she's never had peanut butter.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I am pretty lenient about the "rules" as far as allergies and feeding, and yet I still wouldn't give honey or peanut butter to my baby under a year old. I think 12 months should be a very minimum for peanut butter!

Answer by missanc at 7:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• oops, sorry, I meant to asy I think there is NO reason to rush it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2010